Merrimack River paddle Sun 12/28

spuglisi

A few of us are planning on paddling on the Merrimack River on Sun 12/28. Leaving from the boat ramp at the Salisbury beach state campground at 10 am then paddling upriver. Hopefully to Deer Island at the chain bridge. As of Friday afternoon there was quite a bit of ice collected around the rte 1 bridge so we'll have to remain flexible but from rte one to the mouth of the river things looked pretty much wide open. There's always a good chance of seeing seals, this time of year, in the area of the put-in and also a good chance of spotting osprey and bald eagles. Air temps should be mild but water temps will be in the 40deg F range. Predicted high tide at the put-in is 11:30am. If we make it as far as Deer island it will be a 10-12 NM round trip (if we get turned back at rte 1 the distance will be cut in half) with a favorable tide in both directions. Anyone with proper equipment is welcome to join us ( 5-7 mm full wetsuit or drysuit and of course, a pfd). Also bring extra dry clothes and something to munch on when we take a break. You can post interest or questions here, send me an e-mail at spuglisi155 at yahoo dot com or call my cell 978-973-6806

Sal

Directions to the put-in:

Rte 95 to exit 58A ( rte 110 east)

follow rte 110 approximately 2 miles to the intersection of rte 1.

Take a left onto rte 1 N

stay on rte 1 north for about 300 yrds then take a right onto Rte 1A (beach road).

Follow beach road for about 2 miles and there will be a large sign at the entrance of the Salisbury Beach State Reservation...take a right and follow the road past a small rotary and the park entrance building (no entrance fee in the winter)

Continue about 3/8 of a mile and take a right onto the campground entrance road.

Follow the perimeter road about 3/8 mile and the boatramp entrance will be on the right.

The ramp is large and paved. You can drive down to unload boats and gear then park in the lot.

A few of us are planning on paddling on the Merrimack River on Sun 12/28. Leaving from the boat ramp at the Salisbury beach state campground at 10 am then paddling upriver. Hopefully to Deer Island at the chain bridge. As of Friday afternoon there was quite a bit of ice collected around the rte 1 bridge so we'll have to remain flexible but from rte one to the mouth of the river things looked pretty much wide open. There's always a good chance of seeing seals, this time of year, in the area of the put-in and also a good chance of spotting osprey and bald eagles. Air temps should be mild but water temps will be in the 40deg F range. Predicted high tide at the put-in is 11:30am. If we make it as far as Deer island it will be a 10-12 NM round trip (if we get turned back at rte 1 the distance will be cut in half) with a favorable tide in both directions. Anyone with proper equipment is welcome to join us ( 5-7 mm full wetsuit or drysuit and of course, a pfd). Also bring extra dry clothes and something to munch on when we take a break. You can post interest or questions here, send me an e-mail at spuglisi155 at yahoo dot com or call my cell 978-973-6806

Sal

Sal-- I am in and thx for the directions--see you tomorrow--les