Menemsha this weekend

donperry

Conditions are looking good for a round trip from Trunk River in Falmouth to Menemsha or Cuttyhunk this weekend. I’d like to do it tomorrow but Sunday looks like the better of the two days. This is a long & fast haul each way on Vineyard Sound but it’s not a race. The route to Menemsha is about fifteen miles although notably shorter with the current. I typically average 4 to 4.5 knots in the Glider and speeds over-ground of 6.5 to 7 knots with the current are expected. So I think I’ll get there in 2 hours, or more if I fall off the pace. Cuttyhunk is a longer day but it’s an early start either way.

If you are interested in a trip like this post a reply.

Hi, Don:

This trip (Falmouth to Cuttyhunk) has been near the top of my wish list for a while but I was wondering when I would be able to get somebody to do it with me. Cuttyhunk looks like about 18 miles versus 15 to Menemsha? Sunday really looks good for this, and I could do it then as early as you want. To catch the most of that ebb current, looks like a 5AM launch might be in order? I'd be quite comfortable with a 4 knot pace for 4-5 hours of paddling time, assuming winds are as predicted. I know the Trunk River parking lot.

Please email me with your plans, questions, what have you.

Thanks for posting this!

Mark Stephens

Surge, Teal over White

The Eldridge charts show the ebb flow in Vineyard Sound beginning shortly after high tide on Boston (7:30 am on Sunday). The returning flood starts just after 1:30 pm. High pressure and light winds should make for a rare weekend opportunity to paddle Menemsha. Menemsha also has better places to eat than Cuttyhunk has. Either way, I was thinking about arriving at Trunk River between 7 & 7:30 to launch before 8am.