Insurance on kayak?

PatE

Do you know if a kayak is covered under a homeowner's policy? As I am awaiting delivery on my new one, I'm wondering (read: worrying!) about what if it were to get stolen? Would it matter if it were on my car vs. at my home?

I know I can call my insurance company, but before I do that I thought I'd ask what experience others may have.

Thanks!

Pat

It really does depend on your Insurance company. In my case my Kayaks are covered by my homeowners wherever I am, and of course subject to my deductible. But I do know many people are not covered, or their coverage is limited. You can look into getting a rider on your existing policy. It seems to me some has posted this question before, but I couldn't find it in a search. If I recall correctly, it was $60-$80 annually to add the Small Boat Rider Policy.

Guest guest

An unendorsed homeowner policy offers very little coverage for watercraft, generally only up to $1000. There is no theft coverage unless the boat is stolen from your home. There is no coverage for storm damage unless the boat is inside a building and the building gets damaged. There is also no coverage if the boat falls off you roof rack. You may be able to add an endorsement to your homeowner policy, however the standard endorsement is specific to outboards, inboards, or sailboats. Larry Liquori is the agent who handles the USCA insurance, he writes a personal boat policy but I have no idea what the cost would be, his phone is (800)464-7935.

Pat,

I have my two kayaks fully insured for a very reasonable amount by Amica Insurance. Look them up on line or email me at

> and I'll give you the contact person. They are insured whether at the house or on my car. Plus gear.

Hope this helps

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the info! I finally just called my home/auto insurance carrier (USAA) as delivery date is getting closer, and was told that under my current homeowner's policy it would be covered for theft, vandalism, etc. only while ON my premises IF I stored it in a garage or shed but only up to $1,000. I don't have a garage or shed. Maybe I could bring it in the living room and use it as a coffee table while not paddling? Hmmmm.... it go with my contemporary decor.

I talked with the boat dep't who quoted me a separate rider for $55/year ($500 deductable) for it without regard to where, how the damage or theft occurs.

An interesting sidenote was that I was asked if I had taken any safety courses within the past three years and when I mentioned the Fundmentals I and II class taken with MIKCo in June I was given a credit for it!

I feel better knowing I will be covered for such a nominal amount.

Thanks again!

Pat