Mountain a camera

shewhorn

I have a waterproof housing for my teeny Canon G9. Seeing as the camera with the housing is a little more substantial than your standard point and shoot (and thus would require a heavier duty mount to be able to withstand breaking through a wave) does anyone have any suggestions as to how one would securely mount this thing to my deck?

Cheers, Joe

Duh... mountING. If I wanted to mountain a camera I suppose I'd go on a hike. :rolleyes:

I have a waterproof housing for my teeny Canon G9. Seeing as the camera with the housing is a little more substantial than your standard point and shoot (and thus would require a heavier duty mount to be able to withstand breaking through a wave) does anyone have any suggestions as to how one would securely mount this thing to my deck?

Cheers, Joe

No suggestions, but do you like it? I was looking at the G10 for an all-around flexible camera to shoot my art (for shows and website use, etc.), take recreational pics, and possibly get the waterproof housing for kayaking use. I know the G10 is based on the G9.

Duh... mountING. If I wanted to mountain a camera I suppose I'd go on a hike. :rolleyes:

Joe:

I use a small gorilla tripod which is flexible enough to wrap around 3 deck bungees. My camera case has a small strap with I tether to a deck line. I think you could probably use the larger gorilla pod for the same use. I have never lost the camera in the surf, but have had to reach forward and re-adjust the angle of the camera after waves have knocked it out of line.

No suggestions, but do you like it? I was looking at the G10 for an all-around flexible camera to shoot my art (for shows and website use, etc.), take recreational pics, and possibly get the waterproof housing for kayaking use. I know the G10 is based on the G9.

It's a competent little point and shoot but more interesting if you're not the type who likes to umm... point and shoot seeing as it has a fully manual mode, shoots RAW, etc. The sensor (as is the case with all point and shoots) is noisy so if you're into natural light your options are limited and if you want to get creative, narrow dof is not really an option. For that you'd want a DSLR. It's a great little walk about camera though. It's just small enough that you can tolerate throwing it in your pocket. The interface is relatively intuitive, shutter lag (or lack there of) is good for a P&S. If you're more of a shutterbug I can recommend it. If you just want to pick something up and shoot I might look at one of Fuji's offerings (either way Fuji is worth looking at too, they tend to be a little more advanced in the noise reduction department when it comes to point and shoots). If you want to do some more serious work I'd recommend a DSLR. I just switched my entire rig over to Nikon. I still have a Canon 20D with an 18-55 kit lens (I never used the kit lens) for $400 and a 1DMkIII for $3400 with time left on the warranty (I'm guessing that's a little overkill for what you want to do though LOL).

Cheers, Joe

It's a competent little point and shoot but more interesting if you're not the type who likes to umm... point and shoot seeing as it has a fully manual mode, shoots RAW, etc. The sensor (as is the case with all point and shoots) is noisy so if you're into natural light your options are limited and if you want to get creative, narrow dof is not really an option. For that you'd want a DSLR. It's a great little walk about camera though. It's just small enough that you can tolerate throwing it in your pocket. The interface is relatively intuitive, shutter lag (or lack there of) is good for a P&S. If you're more of a shutterbug I can recommend it. If you just want to pick something up and shoot I might look at one of Fuji's offerings (either way Fuji is worth looking at too, they tend to be a little more advanced in the noise reduction department when it comes to point and shoots). If you want to do some more serious work I'd recommend a DSLR. I just switched my entire rig over to Nikon. I still have a Canon 20D with an 18-55 kit lens (I never used the kit lens) for $400 and a 1DMkIII for $3400 with time left on the warranty (I'm guessing that's a little overkill for what you want to do though LOL).

Cheers, Joe

Yeah, the $3400 price tag is definitely overkill for me I'm afraid. I was using a Nikon 5700 CoolPix, but think I would definitely like the smaller format, just to get something that isn't a dinosaur. It is tough, though, because I know Nikon and Canon both offer some nicely priced DSRLs, and I wish I could get both a compact and an SRL. I need Raw format and manual override, which is why the Canon G9/10 are appealing. Also, the waterproof case sounds fun. Thanks for the info. Good luck mounting...

Nancy

Re: needing /wanting RAW format. If you're camera is supported, there's a "firmware" upgrade called CHDK which can be temporarily installed to the camera which lets you get access to an amazing amount of features your camera manufacturer may not have enabled. I've got a Canon A710 p&s , and when CDHK is in use, I get raw format, an onscreen histogram, and many other features otherwise not available. Check out the info on the web.

As for mounting something "heavy" on the kayak, I've seen people use those big suction cup like mounts. I think they're called stickypods or something.

Phil

As for mounting something "heavy" on the kayak, I've seen people use those big suction cup like mounts. I think they're called stickypods or something.

Phil

Yup...Stickypod, they make a mount specifically for boats/kayaks.

http://www.stickypod.com/boat_camera_mount.html

I have both "stickypod" and "chasecam" suction cup mounts. "Stickypod" mounts are quite large and overkill for my cameras. Recently purchased "chasecam" mount and use it for both my kayaking and PCA racing purposes. "Chasecam" is of finer quality and more compact. Delivery is lightening fast. https://www.chasecam.com/catelog/12/suction_mounts

Send me an e-mail if you need help in any way.

Doug

It is tough, though, because I know Nikon and Canon both offer some nicely priced DSRLs, and I wish I could get both a compact and an SRL. I need Raw format and manual override, which is why the Canon G9/10 are appealing.

You know what might be perfect for you? The new "Micro 4/3rds" format. It features a larger sensor than your typical point and shoot, gives you the option of different lenses but in a very small format.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092208...four_thirds.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092207...ur%20thirds.asp

Cheers, Joe

You know what might be perfect for you? The new "Micro 4/3rds" format. It features a larger sensor than your typical point and shoot, gives you the option of different lenses but in a very small format.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092208...four_thirds.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092207...ur%20thirds.asp

Cheers, Joe

I'll check it out. Thanks for your thoughts. I was just thinking about this again this morning because I do need a camera badly for some work-related stuff.

• 4 months later...
I have both "stickypod" and "chasecam" suction cup mounts. "Stickypod" mounts are quite large and overkill for my cameras. Recently purchased "chasecam" mount and use it for both my kayaking and PCA racing purposes. "Chasecam" is of finer quality and more compact. Delivery is lightening fast. https://www.chasecam.com/catelog/12/suction_mounts

Send me an e-mail if you need help in any way.

Doug

Just another followup thanks... I finally got around to ordering a Chase Cam mount. Got the triangular mount with the 3" extension. About $55 total, shipped. About half of what the Sticky Pod is going for. I'm excited to try it out.

Cheers, Joe