Sunday 2/2 paddle?

rossjb1

Who's going out on Sunday 2/2 and where are we going? I'm always up for Manchester by the Sea but I'm open for suggestions. Lets kick around some ideas. Ross

Who's going out on Sunday 2/2 and where are we going? I'm always up for Manchester by the Sea but I'm open for suggestions. Lets kick around some ideas. Ross

oops...I meant Sunday 11/2 not 2/2

We are definitely getting out on the water Sunday (and Saturday for me). Usually Portsmouth to Maine area but I'd be up to heading south.

Hey Jon, There has been talk of heading North into Maine. I would be interested in doing some surfing (either playing in the rocks or on the beach). An early start up to Popham possibly? (clocks change on Sunday) Braveboat? Anyone else have ideas?

An early start up to Popham possibly? (clocks change on Sunday) Braveboat? Anyone else have ideas?

NW wind starting tonight through Sunday morning. That might have an impact on surf at Popham. Nov. 15/16 for Braveboat? You might find some folks paddling in Cape Porpoise area on Sunday. May or may not be an area for those more interested in the "sport" facet of seakayaking although I have heard rumors of ledge breaks, various rocky bits, and rollers into the shallow parts from time to time.

Ed Lawson

I've not yet been to the Cape Porpoise area. Looks like it could be a nice place to explore. I would be up for that. We could meet up together and break off into pods if folks want to play around in surf or rocks. Ross

I am heading to waters off Portsmouth shortly; I usually park and launch from Goat Isl. if anyone wants to meet. There is some fairly tame rock gardening around the corner from the breakwater between Little Harbour and Fort Point. Its really nice out right now. Back to check in on tomorrow's paddle later tonight.

I am heading to waters off Portsmouth shortly; I usually park and launch from Goat Isl. if anyone wants to meet. There is some fairly tame rock gardening around the corner from the breakwater between Little Harbour and Fort Point. Its really nice out right now. Back to check in on tomorrow's paddle later tonight.

Cape Porpoise it is! We will meet at around 10:00 up there. We have 3 so far, possibly 4. GIve a call 914-489-2673 if any last minute takers. Ross

Cape Porpoise it is! We will meet at around 10:00 up there. We have 3 so far, possibly 4. GIve a call 914-489-2673 if any last minute takers. Ross

Not quite sure where we will be putting in. We will be leaving Amesbury at 8:30 (Don't forget to change clocks) so if anyone is interested we could caravan up. Call in the morning.

Do we have a definite put-in yet? I will call the above # pretty early (0745 +/-) if no reply here. Should be a great day! Jon

Jon good to hear you are joining us. I'm not sure of the put in so give a call in the A.M.

Perhaps we can carpool, we are meeting at my house. I'll give directions over the phone. Ross

Jon good to hear you are joining us. I'm not sure of the put in so give a call in the A.M.

Perhaps we can carpool, we are meeting at my house. I'll give directions over the phone. Ross

It's 9:00 AM We had some cancellations so we are looking to modify our plans to hit the beaches for surfing. Give a call. Ross

We had some cancellations so we are looking to modify our plans to hit the beaches for surfing.

Sorry to hear and hope the surfing was nice. It was a beautiful day after all on the Maine coast.

I hope it is as nice for the Gerrish trip in two weeks.

Ed Lawson

It's 9:00 AM We had some cancellations so we are looking to modify our plans to hit the beaches for surfing. Give a call. Ross

Do tell - I couldn't come with you either way - house chores. BUT, both wetsand and gomoos indicated flat, flat, flat. What did you see?

Suz

Do tell - I couldn't come with you either way - house chores. BUT, both wetsand and gomoos indicated flat, flat, flat. What did you see?

Suz

Well, at Kennebunk Beach it was, indeed, flat flat flat! Fortunately, we weren't out for the surf ;-)

Carl

Well, at Kennebunk Beach it was, indeed, flat flat flat!

Well, I guess that ruins my stories to Gail of towering seas and desperate struggles to shore.

Wait a minute, if we use the horizontal distance the water moved up the beach, then it must have been three foot surf at least..

Ed Lawson

Well, I guess that ruins my stories to Gail of towering seas and desperate struggles to shore.

Wait a minute, if we use the horizontal distance the water moved up the beach, then it must have been three foot surf at least..

Ed Lawson

I put this on the trip reports also, thought you might enjoy... Ross

Yes indeed the Ocean was serene and calm some might think a bore,

the waves gently lapping upon rocks and shore.

A soft cool breeze nudging gently our boats,

the wind in my ears like musical notes.

Blowing with just slight amount of force

we would shift our bums to right our course.

Hark I see ahead...Surf has come to meet us,

it is the wake of Peters fast moving Cetus!

I catch a short but thrilling ride,

a standing wave forms from the incoming tide.

Tipping then bracing to keep from the brink,

my low brace keeps me from a salt water drink.

On to braveboat but the water was flat,

we met Jon and his wife and had a short chat

A man of the sea we then happened upon,

his beard was white and really quite long.

An old time paddler with a custom built ship,

for an old guy he really was quite hip.

Unbeknownst to me but a hero I soon learned,

He once plucked a man from icy water when his boat overturned.

He knew the river quite well each turn and each bend,

and spoke of it fondly as if it were and old and dear friend.

We said goodbye to our companion and began heading back,

the current was moving as it was well past slack.

Then round Gerrish and a crossing complete,

we made it to shore and back on our feet.

Good bye to Jason as darkness drew near,

Peter and I went to Portsmouth for a well deserved beer.

I put this on the trip reports also, thought you might enjoy... Ross

Yes indeed the Ocean was serene and calm some might think a bore,

the waves gently lapping upon rocks and shore.

A soft cool breeze nudging gently our boats,

the wind in my ears like musical notes.

Blowing with just slight amount of force

we would shift our bums to right our course.

Hark I see ahead...Surf has come to meet us,

it is the wake of Peters fast moving Cetus!

I catch a short but thrilling ride,

a standing wave forms from the incoming tide.

Tipping then bracing to keep from the brink,

my low brace keeps me from a salt water drink.

On to braveboat but the water was flat,

we met Jon and his wife and had a short chat

A man of the sea we then happened upon,

his beard was white and really quite long.

An old time paddler with a custom built ship,

for an old guy he really was quite hip.

Unbeknownst to me but a hero I soon learned,

He once plucked a man from icy water when his boat overturned.

He knew the river quite well each turn and each bend,

and spoke of it fondly as if it were and old and dear friend.

We said goodbye to our companion and began heading back,

the current was moving as it was well past slack.

Then round Gerrish and a crossing complete,

we made it to shore and back on our feet.

Good bye to Jason as darkness drew near,

Peter and I went to Portsmouth for a well deserved beer.

Absolutely fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

Suz