VHF Basics

alcoons

Since I was unable to take a VHF basics course, I have been doing a lot of reading. I am left with some basic questions particular to how most NSPN paddlers use their radios.

1) If you paddling solo in NE, would NPSNers monitor Ch 9 rather than 16?

2) In general, after deciding to change channels for a private chat (so to speak), I believe 68 is one available non-commercial channels. What other channels do we typically use?

3) When paddling in a group, do those with VHF radios monitor 9 and a non-commerial channel ( I believe that can be done automatically) or does the group just monitor 9?

Thanks as always. You guys are wonderful.

Al

>1) If you paddling solo in NE, would NPSNers monitor Ch 9

>rather than 16?

The Coast Guard has generally failed to get mariners to adopt 9 as the general hailing channel. We generally monitor 16 in order to get securite calls for weather, boat traffic, sailboat races, etc.

>2) In general, after deciding to change channels for a

>private chat (so to speak), I believe 68 is one available

>non-commercial channels. What other channels do we

>typically use?

NSPN generally uses 72. This is far from a hard-and-fast rule, though.

>3) When paddling in a group, do those with VHF radios

>monitor 9 and a non-commercial channel ( I believe that can

>be done automatically) or does the group just monitor 9?

We monitor the non-commercial channel chosen for the group, such as 72, and 16. Usually one person in the group volunteers to monitor both while everyone else stays on the non-commercial channel.

If you get an opportunity to take a class, it is well worth it. Practicing with a group is helpful in dealing with on-air jitters.

Guest guest

You might want to pick up a copy of A Boater's Guide to VHF and GMDSS, by Sue Fletcher. I didn't think it was possible to write so much about VHF, but this book is over 160 pages long. It's pretty much an Everything you wanted to know, but were afraid to ask-type of text. The book also includes DSC.