Tent Choice: Nemo Morpho or Marmot Swallow 2, or salvage?

subaruguru

Just spent WAY too much time this week at Hilton's, REIs and online comparing about 20 tents.

My beloved 35 yr old Gerry YearRound II lost all its urethane floor coating, and no-one suggests that I try to salvage it. Hmmm...saved my ass in a typhoon off Cap Ferrat (Nice) in 1973. Hate to see her go, but newer stuff looks pretty zoomy.

My combined criteria: 35ft2 min, 8lb max, 88" min length, CONVERTIBLE double roof canopy (both mesh and zippered solid panels to counter wind/cold and allow open stargazing/venting in summer).

The latter requirement knocked the choices down to only four:

If I was sure I'd be camping just solo I'd pick the Sierra Designs Omega, a VERY open and versatile design (unfortunately has a garish yellow/blue fly for 2008); second choice the MountainWear Hammerhead 2, nice and long, twin doors and also a huge convertible canopy. but a bit heavier.

Despite Ellen's protestations that she now prefers B&Bs to tents, I think I should get a slightly larger design in the event that I'm camping with kayaking buds occasionally. Yet most 3 person tents are over 44ft2, just a bit too large (or heavy) to justify.

I discovered the pretty weird Marmot Swallow 2, which although goofy in its asymmetry and odd collection of mesh panels, is incredibly well thought out for venting/visibility options, and has a huge double-door vestibule that can create an "open" space. And its colors are nice, too.

Hesitation is that although it uses friendly snap-buckles everywhere, the poles need to be threaded instead of just clipped, so assembly time might be a factor. Packs large (8x22), so hope it fits in the oval hatch....

The other option is the radical Nemo Morpho 2, which is the air-bladder "non-pole" design that inflates in under a minute (!), and seems to have a huge mesh-and-nylon convertible front and vestibule, and being of one-wall design, is really light and packs small (6x14!). I've heard that one-wall 4-season tents do NOT breathe well in the summer, but the convertible nature of the Morpho should allow lots of circulation I hope. I haven't been able to see one locally, but ordered one from REI to demo later next week.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these pretty idiosyncratic tents?

Note that I've eliminated Trangos, ASPs, Antares, Aretes, Seedhouses, Emeralds, and a bunch of others, including pricier expedition tents that seem too heavy anyway, as I suspect that I won't be doing traditional winter backpacking camping so much as wanting a sturdy three-season for kayaking over-nighters.

Thanks.

Ern

PS Thermarest pads the way to go? What thickness?

Thermarest is not the way to go. Look at the Big Ages/Pacific Outdoors synthetic inflatable pads, or the Exped Synthetic air mattress or the down air mattress. They're smaller, warmer, and way more comfortable than a thermarest. My Exped DAM started to leak after several years of heavy use, I sent it back to be patched, they sent me a brand new mattress at no charge.

As far as tents go.......

You might be surprised at how many people use solo tents. Often a group of 6 people results in 6 solo tents. I'm not sure why we all decide to camp together then no one wants to camp together. I've heard "it's for the snoring" but I have yet to find sound proof nylon. :o

Consider where you are camping, a large tent just won't fit in some campsites.

If you're going to be solo most of the time, a would say get a two person tent and get a tarp for when it rains.

If you're really interested in the Nemo I think they're local, Nashua NH?

Don't forget about the MSR Hubba series of tents.

Hi Michael,

I indeed ran up to Nashua this afternoon and played with a Nemo Morpho. It was smaller than described as they include the vestibule in total length, so this is really just a roomy solo tent. Not a lot of sky-view except at one end, and closing the outer walls must be done from the outside...a bit cumbersome. But the air-pole technology is pretty nifty. And it does pack to a small 6x16.

But a big concern is that this tent is NOT freestanding, so I wonder if getting secure stake points is an issue, as I suspect that kayakers often bed down on sand or rocks??

(Interestingly Nemo's stick-poled Nano will be available with crossing air-poles next spring. This will be a freestander and maybe more appropriate. But I'll probably not wait.)

I eliminated the Hubba line completely, btw. Can't remember why....

So it may come down to the SD Omega or the larger Marmot Swallow 2.

Thanks for the tip on the cushions, too.

Bedding down on dirt is much nicer than rocks or sand!

My current favorite tent in not free standing. It's a 4 season tent so I don't like using it during the summer. Free standing tents still need to be staked out, my Walrus Terramotto (MSR Fusion) needs 5 stakes to keep the fly taunt and off of the tent body, no more than my Exped Sirius. The Exped weighs less and is roomier. I can also pitch the fly of the Exped then crawl inside and hang the body, this is really nice when it's raining.

I've pitched the Exped Sirius on rocks (large and small) using no stakes. The trick for securing guylines and without stakes is simple. Tie them to a rock or use a sand anchor, then put another rock on the line next to the first rock.

Note that I've eliminated Trangos, ASPs, Antares, Aretes, Seedhouses, Emeralds, and a bunch of others, including pricier expedition tents that seem too heavy anyway, as I suspect that I won't be doing traditional winter backpacking camping so much as wanting a sturdy three-season for kayaking over-nighters.

Thanks.

Ern

PS Thermarest pads the way to go? What thickness?

Out of curiosity: (in less than a 100 words) ...) Why did you eliminate the REI Aerete from your list ?

I saw it at REI the other day while it was set up on the floor: it looked

like it might be good, and I wonder what drawbacks you found.

[qu

Out of curiosity: (in less than a 100 words) ...) Why did you eliminate the REI Aerete from your list ?

I saw it at REI the other day while it was set up on the floor: it looked

like it might be good, and I wonder what drawbacks you found.

Hi Pete,

I didn't see one set up, but eliminated it simply on smallish size of 32 ft2.

It's described as having a mesh ceiling AND nylon panels, so indeed may be a so-called "convertible" canopy, which I find very attractive.

I had ordered both the Morpho and Swallow from REI, but the latter is back-ordered; the Morpho arrives next week. I visited NEMO and was a bit surprised at how small the Morpho is as a two-person. They spec the area INCLUDING the integral vestibule, so it's deceiving. It also requires full staking, as I mentioned.

The Marmot Swallow 2 is VERY cool, but I don't know when it'll arrive. If I deem it too big because NO-ONE will bed with me (sigh) I may fall back to smaller choices like the SD Omega (my favorite 1-2p size), or check out the Arete for solo use.

Did you see it at Framingham or Reading...or H Sq?

Best,

Ern

Forgot: I'll order your tires today!