easy rapids ?

spider

I'm heading back down to the States for Oct and am planning on doing a few days up in Maine on the Northern Forest Canoe Trail.

Depending on the water level there might be some class one or easy 2 rapids if time allows.

Any one push the envolope a little with their touring kayaks on the rivers without swapping over to ww kayaks or canoes??

Mine's 16 foot (Eddyline) perfect for the big lakes but curious how others have made out with an occassional rapid or two.

thanks in advance.

spdr

Any one push the envolope a little with their touring kayaks on the rivers without swapping over to ww kayaks or canoes??

Mine's 16 foot (Eddyline) perfect for the big lakes but curious how others have made out with an occassional rapid or two.

thanks in advance.

spdr

I've seen seakayaks run a class 3 downriver race - they are fast! And I also saw a 14-foot seakayak cruising down the class 4 Dryway this summer - surfkayaker from RI. Friends and I often go to the Cohasset rip (class 3-ish) in our long boats. I don't think a class 1-2 rapid is going to be a problem for you. Keep the boat aimed straight downstream and she'll rocket through.

Kate

Done the Moose River and hit some 2 ish stuff but had to portage others. Problem is the rocks....other places and times I felt I could have run rapids easy but had a glass or wood boat.

It is not the same as parking and playing on a standing wave, as you know if you miss a line and hit a rock it is over.

Maybe yours is plastic?