P&H seats

Dee Hall

During one of the outfitting workshops this winter, Sir Godfrey removed the seat in his Sirius only to discover that the foam blocks that had supported the front of the seat had worn away quite a bit of the fiberglass underneath requiring repair.

Today, I removed the seat in Bob's Orion and found that the fiberglass cloth was worn clean through. Fortunately, I had just purchased some resin and glass for another project and had the spots repaired in short order.

Because the seats are allowed to pivot around the one screw on each side, flexing of the seat and boat underneath cause rubbing which could be a problem over many years of use. Add some sand to the mixture and it might happen more quickly.

Repairing fiberglass is easy, but repairing gel coat requires quite a bit more time and effort. If you have one of these boats, have many miles on it, and like to play in the rocks you might want to check for wear every couple of seasons.

i have to correct you, dee (in the cause of scientific accuracy, after all?): it was not the foam supports at the front of the seat that had rubbed through my fibreglass hull, but the lowest part of the seat -- the twin buttock imprints of the , where it was resting on the hull. here it was worn clean through to gelcoat in two neat ovals (there may have been 1-2mm thickness remaining, at a guess).

gelcoat difficult? easy-peasy...

>i have to correct you, dee (in the cause of scientific

>accuracy, after all?): it was not the foam supports at the

>front of the seat that had rubbed through my fibreglass

>hull, but the lowest part of the seat -- the twin buttock

>imprints of the , where it was resting on the hull.

It turns out that the foam had been removed or worn away on this seat. The fiberglass seat was resting on the hull, and this is what caused the wearing through. I had meant to post this update, but forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

>gelcoat difficult? easy-peasy...

I didn't mean to imply that repairing gelcoat was all that challenging. However, it is definitely more time consuming that throwing down a cloth patch with polyester resin. This patch took me about 5 minutes to apply and the boat was ready for it's new seat in about an hour.

-Dee