camping oct 3.4.5

mesbennett

I am planning to camp on a MITA island somewhere ...not too far east... the first weekend in Oct. Anyone interested??

maryb

don't know of a MITA island on Muscle Ridge...well except Nettle which only allows 4 people or Cylends which only allows 2. But that was further out than I was thinking.

I have paddled Muscongus a lot so am looking for something that I have not done much.

I am also thinking that some might be first time campers so closer to put in and more protected would be in order.

so I am thinking New Meadows River....the Basin takes 8 and I have never been there..lots of protected water and interesting paddling...likely good fall colors especially up in the Back Cove on the east shore. There is a put in on Meadowbrook Rd where we could leave a car and/or some could put in there. But I am not sure how many cars we can leave there. And there is Cundy's Harbor. But you know this area much better than I and would have better suggestions! And there is always Little Snow. Eagle is good but not for more than two or maybe three tents and then would have to do some clearing. Owners would not mind, at least did not when I spoke with them earlier in the year.

Any comments or feedback is welcome. boy I am opening myself up here!!!

maryb

Might want to consider the Goslings in Casco Bay up from Whaleboat. Private, but careful use by public is OK including camping. Nice area. Relatively close to some launch sites. Basically protected except for south winds and yet that part of Casco Bay has an open feel to it. As I recall islands in this area have fair amount of hardwoods so foliage could be nice.

Ed Lawson

Is anyone else thinking of coming along? Ed?? So far it looks like just Mary and maybe me.

I told Mary separately I would probably come, though I am not yet certain I can get Friday off. Current plan is to launch from Lookout Point on the west shore of Harpswell, ME, and camp most likely on one of the Goslings about 2.7 miles away. Whaleboat is an option of Goslings don't work for any reason. Launch on Friday, but launch time still open. Goslings as a base leave us all sorts of options for day trips, or half-day trips, from there.

We'd welcome at least a few more.

Roger Turgeon

Night Heron, cedar-strip

rdt@TurgeonLawFirm.com

978-388-1516

Is anyone else thinking of coming along? Ed??

I have obligations at home until noon Sat. so no go for camping, but may see you on the water.

BTW, can you park overnight at Lookout...have seen it listed as day parking only.

Ed Lawson

I am leaving home today and will be paddling to Goslings on Friday parking at Lookout Pt. Will connect with Roger sometime Friday as a final update. otherwise will look for flashing paddles sat and sun :) Anyone can join at any time!

maryb