West knives, VHFs

The $149 VHF house-brand West Units at West Marine are fully-submerisible JIS-7's.

The smaller sale unit (less of a markdown from $169) doesn't include a tray for alkalines but does include a drop-in charger.

The larger, heavier sale unit (more of a markdown from $179) does include a tray for alkalines and also includes a drop-in charger.

The sales guy I talked to said both units are made by ICOMM.

Again, both sport big fat screens, and because they are knobless are probably fuss-free for cold water and winter use.

In radio maker's parlance "waterproof" does not mean "submersible". Check the standard the radio meets. If it's not JIS-7, it's not submersible. The lower standards are essentially "splashproof", which means it will survive rain and spray, but if you roll with it, it's probably going to die.

Boat Us has the same VHF50 on sale for $139.99 and West Marine in Woburn just sold me one of theirs for that price a few hours ago. The antenna connection and battery access cover have substantial o-ring seals and it sure looks submersible to me. It is notably lighter and smaller than the VHF200 they offer. The battery is probably fine for day trips although it is small. It works great and with a three year warrantee, how can you go wrong?

I think I will take a look at the West house brand radios.

But I have to say that a warranty is little consolation when your radio is in the factory during July and August, and you have nothing to take on the water.

Hmmm... maybe the trick really is to have two. But then you can have ~two~ in the factory at once ;-)))

--David.

Please keep us posted on how you like it and how well it holds up. If nothing else, these radios should help force the price of the higher end units downward. It seems that Icom constantly has rebates on the M88 and often on the M1V, plus some dealers are discounting them pretty deeply. I paid under $200, after rebate, for my M88.

It’s got their store brand and I would expect them to simply exchange it for one that works if there is a problem. This appears to me a new design I’ve not seen before. They must be very confident with these units to offer them with a three year warrantee. That implies they have been through extensive shock and immersion testing.

The battery pack is a tight fit to the compartment and only fits one way. The shrink label needs to be carefully trimmed a little so the wires do not extend beyond the end of the battery pack (which they do as delivered). This gives just a little more lead length allowing the plugged in wires to reside above the and beside the foam pad in the compartment. Forcing the battery pack into place without making this modification will strain and possibly damage the leads.