Casco Bay Paddle 8-31

EEL

I'm following the Gary York's practice and cross posting this trip which is technically a SMSKN one. They have a policy that non-members are welcome to go on a trip or two without being members so feel welcome to participate. Please contact me if you intend to participate and there is a limit on size.

Trip starts at 10AM from the Dolphin Marina at the end of Harpswell Neck. General plan is to wander south around islands near Bangs, then head north and visit Little Whaleboat and perhaps the Goslings. There are crossing of nearly two miles and you should feel comfortable on the ocean, but it is basically a pleasant place to paddle. Expect a 12 to 14 NM trip with a decent lunch stop and an on water pace of 3+ Kts. If enough interest is expressed at launch, we might go to Eagle. There is a $10 park and launch fee at the marina and a $3 state park fee for Eagle if you leave the beach.

This part of the bay is well protected from swells, but is more open than you might expect so you can be exposed to some wind and chop as in small breaking wind waves occasionally augmented with boat wakes. Current forecast is benign.

There are nice places to eat after the paddle too.

Ed Lawson

I should have mentioned this, but the water temps are around 60F in this part of the bay.

You can dress to be comfortable paddling or dress for immersion, but not easy to do both simultaneously.

Your choice.

Latest marine forecast suggests there is a good chance of sustained winds from 15 to 20 Kts today on Casco Bay. That would make the trip closer to an NSPN level 4 than a 3, if not a level 4. Some route modifications will be seriously considered as day progresses as those are serious winds with a bit of fetch. Trip is on nevertheless.

Ed Lawson