Anyone up for practicing rescues in conditions on 9/7?

MPARSONS

While I have practiced a rescues and tows on flatwater, I have very little experience doing them on bumpier water. Accordingly, I'd like to practice them in more realistic conditions if I can find a like-minded sidekick or two. I think Rick initiated something like this earlier in the season but I wasn't able to attend. Of course, I would welcome participation from someone with more experience to share their their knowledge.

My thought would be to spend an hour warming up in flatwater practicing wet exits, self and assisted rescues and tows before moving into more open water for an hour or two to do the same thing and see how different it feels with wind and waves. I might also want to try out my newly minted roll to see if there is any chance it would actually work in conditions.

I'm not talking about 5 star conditions or anything crazy, just something more realistic than perfectly flat lakes and harbors. I imagine something like the Level 3+ conditions of many of the group trips would be appropriate.

Based on my schedule, Sunday 9/7 or almost any day after workwould work best for me. I'm completely flexible about where.

Is anyone interested?

Marc, a favorite spot of mine for such practice is the channel between the Miseries. Usually, the channel is somewhat protected and a beach on either side provides easy bail outs if needed. As ones confidence improves, one can move further into the channel entrance where swell and waves are larger. Sometimes there is surf on the west side. Weekends there is boat traffic through there to contend with, but usually at much reduced speed. I can't do anything late in the day but am open for the weekends.

While I have practiced a rescues and tows on flatwater, I have very little experience doing them on bumpier water. Accordingly, I'd like to practice them in more realistic conditions if I can find a like-minded sidekick or two. I think Rick initiated something like this earlier in the season but I wasn't able to attend. Of course, I would welcome participation from someone with more experience to share their their knowledge.

My thought would be to spend an hour warming up in flatwater practicing wet exits, self and assisted rescues and tows before moving into more open water for an hour or two to do the same thing and see how different it feels with wind and waves. I might also want to try out my newly minted roll to see if there is any chance it would actually work in conditions.

I'm not talking about 5 star conditions or anything crazy, just something more realistic than perfectly flat lakes and harbors. I imagine something like the Level 3+ conditions of many of the group trips would be appropriate.

Based on my schedule, Sunday 9/7 or almost any day after workwould work best for me. I'm completely flexible about where.

Marc,

We'll be practicing off of dolliber cove around 6pm tonight. Give me a call if you want tower up.

Is anyone interested?

Marc, a favorite spot of mine for such practice is the channel between the Miseries. Usually, the channel is somewhat protected and a beach on either side provides easy bail outs if needed. As ones confidence improves, one can move further into the channel entrance where swell and waves are larger. Sometimes there is surf on the west side. Weekends there is boat traffic through there to contend with, but usually at much reduced speed. I can't do anything late in the day but am open for the weekends.

Sometimes there is surf on the west side.

You mean the east side.

Sometimes there is surf on the west side.

You mean the east side.

Yes, of course. When I wrote west, I was interestingly picturing in my mind the east entrance. Funny the way the mind works; now which side is port again?

I'm still interested in trying to pull this off on Sunday, 9/7 (Sorry, Lori, but I'm out of town the following weekend and can't do it then).

Gene, you mentioned that you might be available that day. Is that still true?

Is anyone else around and interested in that kind of practice? Again, I imagine we'd start off practicing rescues, tows, etc. on flatwater and then move out into conditions as interest, skills, weather and boat traffic permit.

Marc-

I'm definitely interested in practice like this, but the forecast for sunday is a tad bit extreme.

From the NWS on Wed at 10am:

SAT

E WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...INCREASING TO 10 TO 15 KT IN THE

AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 4 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS EARLY IN THE

MORNING...THEN SHOWERS AND TSTMS LIKELY IN THE LATE MORNING AND

AFTERNOON. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM EARLY IN THE AFTERNOON.

SAT NIGHT

E WINDS 30 TO 35 KT...BECOMING SW AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SEAS 8 TO 9 FT. SHOWERS AND TSTMS LIKELY EARLY IN THE EVENING...

THEN SHOWERS LIKELY IN THE LATE EVENING AND OVERNIGHT. VSBY 1 TO

3 NM EARLY IN THE EVENING.

SUN

W WINDS 30 TO 35 KT...DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 15 KT IN THE

AFTERNOON. SEAS AROUND 8 FT...SUBSIDING TO 6 FT IN THE AFTERNOON.

A CHANCE OF SHOWERS UNTIL LATE AFTERNOON.

My understanding is that the remains of Hannah will be passing nearby.

Phil