Rear Hatch for Cetus

alcoons

Manage to loose the rear Kayaksport hatch for my Cetus. Anyone know where to get one locally or mail order if necessary? Thanks,

Al

Ouch ... that's going to cost you. Remember when I lost my NDK hatch driving up to the Manchester trip a few weeks ago ? Including shipping that was a $60 replacement. I ended up ordering online as NESC didnt have that size.

If you lost your hatch because it was not tethered you can either tied it through a tab to the decklines or get a "stick on" for the underside that you can tether inside the hatch. Its relatively simple to fashion a "loop" with a bit of glass on a composite boat on the underside of the hatch interior. I wouldn't wonder that Mr. Nystrom's website has an example of this sort of operation.

Bazzert, you need to tether your hatch-covers, then! I'm not suggesting that that will retain them at 60mph; but certainly against on-water loss...(it's particularly easy to lose the day-hatch one).

Pintain, it was tethered, but my bad for not having checked it. The previous owner of my boat had tethered it with a simple stopper know and over time the knot had tightened and then was able to slip through. I was admiring the system on Marc Parsons boat last week where the tether is secured to a piece that is screwed through the hatch itself.

Barry.

Manage to loose the rear Kayaksport hatch for my Cetus. Anyone know where to get one locally or mail order if necessary?

Thanks,

Al

Al:

I bought an entire new set for my Cetus this spring at NESC. I hated the hard "tupperware" hatches. The day hatch cracked in half on a cold paddle in February. Osprey also carries all four hatch sizes for the Cetus.

Thanks for all the help.

1) I assumed it would not be easy to find. However, NESC and CRK both had one. Was going to CRK for some warrantee work so got it there. $80. Ugh

2) It was tethered, and I thought I checked very carefully that it was on well before I left the take-out. However, it seems at my age thinking you checked and actually checking can be very different things.

Heard a single loud crack as soon as I got to 70 MPH but did not realize what it was until I got home. Ironically, the tether did not break. The small rubber nubbin where the tether attaches to the underside of the hatch must have ripped off.

Thanks again,

Al