TRIP DATE CHANGE TO WED 8-20!! Cape Ann or Plum Island Circumnavigation

Gillian

I can do Wed and current forecast is for 10-15 NW switching to 5-10 SW late morning. What's the best route with the ~2pm high tide. I'd prefer not to fight the current both ways.

Phil

The best bet I've found for a Plum Island circumnav with the current is to go clockwise and leave from the beach on the north end of PI at the end of the ebb in the mouth of the Merrimack. That gets you out the Merrimack in slack or slight ebb. Then, after slogging down the Island on the outside, you enter the Ipswich mouth and go up PI Sound with the mid flood. Finally, you have plenty of water to traverse the shallows at the north end of the PI River, both south and north of the bridge.

Of course, if you want more exercise, there are numerous ways to have the current against you at points, and to drag your boat across the shoals. :)

Oh yes, parking at that beach is free in the big lot across the street, or pay the guy in the bait shop $5 to park right next to the sand.

--David.

PS: I bet there are still a few greenies right now.

The best bet I've found for a Plum Island circumnav with the current is to go clockwise and leave from the beach on the north end of PI at the end of the ebb in the mouth of the Merrimack. That gets you out the Merrimack in slack or slight ebb. Then, after slogging down the Island on the outside, you enter the Ipswich mouth and go up PI Sound with the mid flood. Finally, you have plenty of water to traverse the shallows at the north end of the PI River, both south and north of the bridge.

Of course, if you want more exercise, there are numerous ways to have the current against you at points, and to drag your boat across the shoals. :)

Oh yes, parking at that beach is free in the big lot across the street, or pay the guy in the bait shop $5 to park right next to the sand.

--David.

PS: I bet there are still a few greenies right now.

Yup, pretty much the plan. For those interested, it will require a fairly early put in to take advantage of the tides. That being said, the weather looks great for the paddle:) The majority of GHs are gone based on our experience paddling in the area on last Fri. and Sat.

(Again, K posting under G's name :<()

Yup, pretty much the plan. For those interested, it will require a fairly early put in to take advantage of the tides. That being said, the weather looks great for the paddle:) The majority of GHs are gone based on our experience paddling in the area on last Fri. and Sat.

(Again, K posting under G's name :<()

Here is a nice map of the area for the PI Refuge site:

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/parkerriver/largemap.html

With the fairly early put-in and if all goes fail well, is it reasonable to hope that I can get of out the water by 3:30 or 4:00 PM? I'd be willing to go ahead and do some if it solo too, assuming I’m up for it. I’ve been looking forward to a long paddle all summer!!!

I have pick up my wife from an MBTA train station somewhere to the south in rush hour and head to Foxboro for a 7:30 event. Otherwise it would be great to go with Al assuming we get a minyan (What ever that is or an NSPN trip?).

Sid

With the fairly early put-in and if all goes fail well, is it reasonable to hope that I can get of out the water by 3:30 or 4:00 PM? I'd be willing to go ahead and do some if it solo too, assuming I’m up for it. I’ve been looking forward to a long paddle all summer!!!

I have pick up my wife from an MBTA train station somewhere to the south in rush hour and head to Foxboro for a 7:30 event. Otherwise it would be great to go with Al assuming we get a minyan (What ever that is or an NSPN trip?).

Sid

We'll be off the water long before 3:30pm.

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Aug 19 2008, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We'll be off the water long before 3:30pm.

Kevin,

Good news!! I hadn't seen this post when I posted a reply to your official "butts in the boat" post. I'm pretty sure I can get coverage for the dogs. See ya there!!

Sid

Anyone up for either of these trips on Thurs.? Please post if interested. Finalize details by noontime on Wed.

(Whoops, Kevin posting under Gillian's user name)

Huh? I'm now REALLY confused! What about Thursday?

Ern