Sunday Rockport or Boston Harbor 8/17?

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

This is an inquiry only. If anyone is interested in putting in at Rockport and exploring that part of Cape Ann or putting in around Boston and paddling the harbors, please post interest here. Once there is interest, we can finalize the details.

Kevin -

Great to hear all is not lost for paddling this weekend! Count me in.

I was looking forward to Boston Harbor until Al had to cancel, but I've also been trying for a while to get a trip going around Rockport. So I'd be happy to do either, and am available both Sat. and Sun. -- whichever works best for the group.

Blaine

I might be interested in either, especially if it's a not-super-early start time.

Let's do Boston. Winthrop put in, say 10:30am? Please voice opinions on these choices.

Marc, this is your neck of the woods. Any other put ins that might be better?

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Aug 14 2008, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's do Boston. Winthrop put in, say 10:30am? Please voice opinions on these choices.

Winthrop probably works the best for the most people, so I'd go with that. When we did the Graves a few weeks ago we left from the parking area just before the treatment plant, which gave better access to the open water and the outermost islands. That would be an alternative launch if we wanted to head that way. It is on the same road as the Winthrop location listed in the Put In section, just further down and on the left. The site in the Put In section is probably good too, I just haven't been there. Whichever we choose probably doesn't make much of a difference since Deer Island isn't that big; it is easy to paddle around.

When we did the Graves a few weeks ago we left from the parking area just before the treatment plant, which gave better access to the open water and the outermost islands. That would be an alternative launch if we wanted to head that way. It is on the same road as the Winthrop location listed in the Put In section, just further down and on the left. ddle around.

Marc,

Is this the location of the put-in ?

thanks,

Barry.

Marc,

Is this the location of the put-in ?

thanks,

Barry.

Yes, that is where we launched from a few weeks ago and it was fine. That one might be better if the plan is to head out; the one in the Put-In section might be better if the plan is to head in. Again, Deer Island isn't too big to paddle around, so either is probably OK.

Responding to your earlier message, I've been assuming Sunday since the subject line says 8/17.

(By the way, does anyone know how to delete a message? I accidentally posted two messages about Salem tonight and can't figure out how to delete one of them.)

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Aug 14 2008, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Count me in!

Just a quick FYI. The quickest way to cross President Roads (big channel, big boats) is to cross from Deer Island to Long Island. Once across you can explore from there. Be aware of other boats around the islands, especially the ferry's, they travel courses that you may not expect. I believe one of them travels between George's and Lovell going really fast. I know I did not expect to see a ferry going that fast in that area.

Yup, the "fast ferries" are catamarans which draw relatively water. So, they are often found tearing along OUTSIDE the marked channels. As Bill suggests, keep your head on a swivel.

Carl C.

Just a quick FYI. The quickest way to cross President Roads (big channel, big boats) is to cross from Deer Island to Long Island. Once across you can explore from there. Be aware of other boats around the islands, especially the ferry's, they travel courses that you may not expect. I believe one of them travels between George's and Lovell going really fast. I know I did not expect to see a ferry going that fast in that area.

I'd like to join this paddle.

Who is tacoma kayaker?

I am one of Bob Burnett's crew from Seattle. I'm here through May for a fellowship at MIT and Harvard. I just arrived in Cambridge Thursday evenning, driving 3,150 miles with my Tempest 170 strapped to the top of my car.

After the past few days, i really need to get out on the water.

i won't be a detriment to the group--i have solid roll and rescue skills, etc.

So, where is the luanch, btw--as in an address I can google, or coordinates.

Thanks

Alex

202xxxx253xxxx1493 (verizon cell)

tacomakayaker@yahoo.com

SUNDAY (8/17) 10:30 butts in boat time (hmm, it's always been Sunday;)

Put in:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...mp;t=h&z=16

This paddle is flexible as to destination and the path we take. The group will decide on the beach. Usual SNG rules apply.

At least one of those ferrys buzzing haphazardly around the harbor is the Spirit of Boston, a lunch/dinner/dance cruise ship where my daughter works as an entertainer. She's agreed to have a word with the pilot on Sunday to be on the lookout for us. Not sure if that means she'll ask him to give us a wide berth or treat us to really big surfing wake. We'll see.

Blaine

I would like to do Rockport. Way too much boat traffic on the Harbor Islands. I know, I got stuck there at Spectacle Island during a T-Storm.

Has anyone ever done the Essex River? That's a wonderful place to kayak. However, since I don't want to kayak alone, I'll go where everyone else goes. Just need time and place with a street address preferably so I can punch it into my GPS.

:rubberring:

kevin--i have to back out. I'm looking forward to going out on the next one though.

Do we have any after work practice sessions/meetings like we do in Seattle around here? BB set up regular Tuesday and Wednesday night skill sessions out in seattle/tacoma. Always a lot of fun--i'ld like to join any out in this neck of the woods, too.

Also, any Walden Pond Scum on this board? I've heard about you, and would definitely like to join in your doings. top priority for me is to carve a GP blade. I'd love to build a SOF, too.

thanks.

Alex

202-253-1493 ©

kevin--i have to back out. I'm looking forward to going out on the next one though.

Do we have any after work practice sessions/meetings like we do in Seattle around here? BB set up regular Tuesday and Wednesday night skill sessions out in seattle/tacoma. Always a lot of fun--i'ld like to join any out in this neck of the woods, too.

Also, any Walden Pond Scum on this board? I've heard about you, and would definitely like to join in your doings. top priority for me is to carve a GP blade. I'd love to build a SOF, too.

thanks.

Alex

202-253-1493 ©

Hi Alex,

There are Skill Sessions held most evenings in a variety of places from Mystic Lake in Medford to Great Pond in Kingston, NH. Check the Calendar for details.

The Essex Shipyard Museum is hosting a week long SOF building class at the end of September. Here's the website www.essexshipbuildingmuseum.org

They haven't posted the details about the class, so you will need to call them for more info. I build a SOF (since sold) there 3 years ago, although not with the instructor who will be conducting the class this time, and it's a lot of fun.

If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

Deb M :surfing::roll: