Paddling In Falmouth?

alcoons

My sister-in-law has rented a place on Green Pond on Acapesket Road in East Falmouth and we are going to visit this week. Looks as if Green Pond has direct access to Nantucket Sound. Don't know the area at all.

Suggestions/concerns about modest paddling (level 2+/3- with wife, level 3 alone) from the house or from other put-ins in the area?

Thanks in advance,

Al

Al,

I grew up on Great Pond in Falmouth so I know the area well. You will have direct access to Nantucket Sound. From there it is a short jaunt over to Waquoit Bay and Washburn Island. Waquoit Bay is a very easy paddle, the only challenge would be the exposed portion of Nantucket Sound, but that would only be for about a half mile or so. Washburn is a great natural area to walk around, just be ready for a billion ticks.

From Green Pond, take a left into Nantucket Sound. Take a left into the second harbor by the Menauhant Yacht Club. From there stay to your right and paddle up the Seapit River with Washburn Island on your right. Seapit opens into Waquoit Bay which is completely sheltered. From there you could poke around the inlets to the east which lead to New Seabury, you could visit the Waquoit Bay research center to the north, or you can paddle south back to Nantucket Sound.

If you wanted a more exciting paddle, Woods Hole is about two miles to the west with great tidal currents, but be careful for boat traffic. From Green Pond, Martha's Vineyard is about 6 miles south west, but that is obviously a completely exposed crossing.

I might be in Falmouth this weekend if you are looking for a partner.

Marc

Al,

I might be in Falmouth this weekend if you are looking for a partner.

Marc

That is great info. Thanks Marc. Unfortuntely, we return Friday evening or early Saturday morning or I would love to get together.

Al

From Green Pond, take a left into Nantucket Sound. Take a left into the second harbor by the Menauhant Yacht Club. From there stay to your right and paddle up the Seapit River with Washburn Island on your right. Seapit opens into Waquoit Bay which is completely sheltered. From there you could poke around the inlets to the east which lead to New Seabury, you could visit the Waquoit Bay research center to the north, or you can paddle south back to Nantucket Sound.

Waquoit Bay is a terrific, easy paddle, once inside. Especially try Sage Lot Pond, off the southeastern corner.

But getting into and out of the Bay from the Sound presents some difficulties. This time of year, both entrances are choked with power boats and fishing lines. The direct Bay entrance(easternmost entrance) has fast current almost anytime except around slack, and that plus the obstructing boats and lines can make it really tough, especially for novices. If you want to use, it, definitely check the current tables and try to hit slack, though beware of inaccuracies in the tables.

The westernmost entrance is better, with some current, but not as much, but then requires a couple more miles of paddling to get into the Bay proper. There is no entry in the current charts for this spot, but I think (no guarantees) it's on about the same schedule but with notably less speed.

And, of course, the Sound itself is subject to wind, swell and current, so if you're going that way, check forecasts.

BTW, to avoid all these difficulties, drive over to White's Landing Road, on Rt 28, on the west side of the stream. From there you can get into and out of the Bay with no need for the Sound. There's plenty of parking in a lot on the highway, and a decent launch point down the end of the road.

--David.