Early morning paddle next weekend (7/26 or 27)

bazzert

I took my dog for a hike on the beach at swampscott early this morning and then went on to chandler hovey park on Marblehead this morning. The sea was wonderfully flat (compared to yesterday afternoon for the transition paddle) and there was virtually no boat traffic.

I was thinking of initiating a trip next weekend with a BIB time of 7am, and beach briefing at 6:45am. This would of course be subject to weather forecast and conditions at that time. My proposed route would take us from Riverhead beach, Marblehead, out past the neck, just south of childrens island and on to the gooseberry islands (where we can land) before returning to Riverhead. There is a link below to the route. Total distance is 8.1 miles; with the longest open water crossing from north gooseberry to childrens of 1.4 miles. I'd really appreciate a critique on this and weather on the day would dictate the actual route. This would be a level 2+ (2 for distance, 3 for open water)

riverheadtogooseberriesdc5.th.jpg

Tides:

7/26 High 5:43 am Low 11:47am

7/27 High 6:43 am Low 12:31pm

Let me know if you are interested or if you have any comments on the proposed route,

Barry.

Hi Barry,

I won't join you on this one because I'm a late riser. One thought however: The Goooseberries are home to nesting birds. They will either scare you or you them. Also, if there is any type of conditions in the surf, landing and launching from the Gooseberries is fraught with fun or anxiousness depending on you point of view. A stop between the Miseries would probably be more comfortable and not add much to the trip distance.

Hi Barry,

I won't join you on this one because I'm a late riser. One thought however: The Gooseberries are home to nesting birds. They will either scare you or you them. Also, if there is any type of conditions in the surf, landing and launching from the Gooseberries is fraught with fun or anxiousness depending on you point of view. A stop between the Miseries would probably be more comfortable and not add much to the trip distance.

Gene, thanks for the heads up. I checked with the Audubon society and they are keeping people off Kettle Island (Manchester) for another month so have to assume this would apply to Gooseberries as well.

Add a stop at Misery adds 2 miles for a total of 10 miles. Updated track below.

miseryviagooseberrynortpy8.th.jpg

Barry.

I'm trying to finalize my weekend plans. Are you thinking about Saturday or Sunday for this trip?

Hi Marc

I am leaning towards saturday, but could do sunday as well. Do you have a preference?

Barry

I probably won't be able to do it after all. Its probably just as well since that start time would mean an obscenely early departure from Boston for me.