North Shore Island Camping?

mattdrayer

Hi everyone,

New to the forum -- sorry if there's already a thread/list posted about this subject. Just wondering if anyone can tell me which islands in the North Shore area are available for camping out? I looked into the Misery Islands, but it seems no overnighting is allowed?

Thanks!

Matt

Thacher Island officially recognizes camping. Other than the Harbour Islands, I'm not sure there are any other "islands" in the area.

Thanks for the info, Bob -- much appreciated. So, how would one go about determining whether the other islands/rocks in the bay are open for overnighting? Contact the city/town officials?

Thanks again,

Matt

Thanks for the info, Bob -- much appreciated. So, how would one go about determining whether the other islands/rocks in the bay are open for overnighting? Contact the city/town officials?

Thanks again,

Matt

Matt,

Bob's observation is correct. For islands, Thatcher's is the only one available. Misery, Bakers, and Children's are all out. I believe (would have to verify) that you can camp on Wingarsheak beach but of course it is not an island. Depending on the type of camping you prefer, you might be able to commando camp on some of the other islands in Salem Sound.

If you're willing to range a bit farther north, the Islands off of Cape Porpoise in Kennebunkport, ME (between Portsmouth, NH and Portland) would be a good choice.

Three of the islands ( Vaughn, Trott and Stage) have campsites, and the islands are supposed to be a great paddling destination.

The islands are recent additions to the Maine Island Trail Association, so

you would need to join MITA ($35) to camp there.

www.mita.org

The 2008 MITA handbook, by the way , is a valuable trip planner. The maps and are much better than the 2007 edition.

Al little info on the Cape Porpoise Islands with mention of NSPN members. The Islands mentioned by Peter in the previous post are actually owned by Kennebunkport Conservation

Trust and MITA members are welcome. I don't think you need to be a MITA member but I highly recommend any kayaker who kayaks in Maine to join MITA.

http://www.mita.org/node/405

http://www.mita.org/

Neil