Salem Sound Sat. Afternoon

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

For those who went on the Solstice L2 or L2+ want to try to the L3 trip? Well, here's your chance. In the spirit of the transition paddles that I organized last year, this one will take in the islands of Salem Sound. Butts in boat time will be noontime with put in location to be determined. Please post here, email, or PM interest.

UPDATE: Put in (butts in boat time, be ready to plant butt in boat 15 min earlier ;) ) at 12 pm. Launch from Tuck Point in Beverly. Please see map for directions. Final plan will be decided on at the water's edge.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2090880

Parking can be limited at times and it is relegated to street parking.

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Jul 15 2008, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought they said they couldn't come? Or was that just wishful thinking?:)

well it's iffy last i heard :thinking:

i hope they never read this message board or you're in big trouble.

I am interested in this trip. Have you decided if you can do it or if you have a previous commitment?

Jim

Hey there Jim, trip is on - no word from family so I'm guessing they're not coming :)

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Jul 15 2008, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For those who went on the Solstice L2 or L2+ want to try to the L3 trip? Well, here's your chance. In the spirit of the transition paddles that I organized last year, this one will take in the islands of Salem Sound. Butts in boat time will be noontime with put in location to be determined. Please post here, email, or PM interest.

I would like to join.

Vadim

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Jul 15 2008, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Kevin,

I wasn't on your Solstice trip. Would it still be possible to come on this trip?

A little bit about my experience:

- I've been paddling for about 10 years now, although not as much recently as I did earlier.

- I did a 3 week NOLS sea kayaking course in Baja California about 7 years ago.

- I most likely have a roll. (I did as recently as last year.)

- Looking over the level requirements, I would say that I used to be a 3/4, but am probably now a 2/3. The only level 3 thing I have real doubts about is my speed and distance.

Carolyn

Hi Kevin,

I wasn't on your Solstice trip. Would it still be possible to come on this trip?

A little bit about my experience:

- I've been paddling for about 10 years now, although not as much recently as I did earlier.

- I did a 3 week NOLS sea kayaking course in Baja California about 7 years ago.

- I most likely have a roll. (I did as recently as last year.)

- Looking over the level requirements, I would say that I used to be a 3/4, but am probably now a 2/3. The only level 3 thing I have real doubts about is my speed and distance.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Ultimately, the decision to come on the trip or not is yours to make. Typically, these transition paddles are done at an L2+ pace, so your speed (not sure what it is for you) may not be an issue. As for the distance, it will be for the group to decide. Although the plan is to circumnavigate the Sound, the plan can and most likely will change based on the preferences of the group. Hope this helps!

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Jul 16 2008, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tuck Point in Beverly will be the put in location.

Kevin.

I only see directions on the Put-ins/Directions page to Tucks Point in Manchester, not Tuck Point in Beverly. Google Search puts in right off 1A across the water from the Willows? Do we need any more specifics?

Thanks,

Al

Kevin.

I only see directions on the Put-ins/Directions page to Tucks Point in Manchester, not Tuck Point in Beverly. Google Search puts in right off 1A across the water from the Willows? Do we need any more specifics?

Thanks,

Al

Al,

I updated my original post.

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Jul 18 2008, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Carolyn,

Ultimately, the decision to come on the trip or not is yours to make. Typically, these transition paddles are done at an L2+ pace, so your speed (not sure what it is for you) may not be an issue. As for the distance, it will be for the group to decide. Although the plan is to circumnavigate the Sound, the plan can and most likely will change based on the preferences of the group. Hope this helps!

Ok. In that case, I do believe I will join you.

See you on the water!

Carolyn

Kevin -

I missed the solstice paddle as well, but reading your reply to Carolyn, that seems not to be an issue.

If the enrollment is still open, I'd like to join you. After years of windsurfing that area a couple decades ago, seeing things from a kayak should be fun.

Blaine Bjornstad