July 18 Full Moon on Dogbar

eneumeier

How rare that a Full Moon falls on a Friday night.

The sun sets at 8:17 PM and the moon rises at 8:44 PM. We will launch at 7:00 PM from Pavillion Beach aka the Greasy Pole on Gloucester harbor, paddle to the coast guard station -- via the inner harbor or western shore/crossing the mouth of the harbor depending on weather and the wishes of the group -- secure our boats then hike out to the end of dogbar breakwater for the moonrise and a picnic.

Bring: coast guard-required lights(if you don't know look it up or ask on the regular message board), good food/drink to share (no Shaw's potato salad-type crap, puhleeze!), warm clothes to wear on the breakwater as it gets surprisingly cool out there and stories. We tell lots of good stories on these trips. About bears and stuff. Tin foil hats are also welcome. Ask Bethany.

This will be a late night. Assume you will be back to your car no earlier than 11 PM, with very good memories.

Liz

How rare that a Full Moon falls on a Friday night.

The sun sets at 8:17 PM and the moon rises at 8:44 PM. We will launch at 7:00 PM from Pavillion Beach aka the Greasy Pole on Gloucester harbor, paddle to the coast guard station -- via the inner harbor or western shore/crossing the mouth of the harbor depending on weather and the wishes of the group -- secure our boats then hike out to the end of dogbar breakwater for the moonrise and a picnic.

Bring: coast guard-required lights(if you don't know look it up or ask on the regular message board), good food/drink to share (no Shaw's potato salad-type crap, puhleeze!), warm clothes to wear on the breakwater as it gets surprisingly cool out there and stories. We tell lots of good stories on these trips. About bears and stuff. Tin foil hats are also welcome. Ask Bethany.

This will be a late night. Assume you will be back to your car no earlier than 11 PM, with very good memories.

Liz

I plan on being there--I probably will get there early to beat the rush hour traffic and to get some paddling in--if my blisters and wrists heal from the blackburn race--so if people want to meet early at the harbor--post here--

I also will pick up some glow lights to toggle on the deck--fun to have on your deck at night--les

Sounds like a fun paddle! If I can get the day or part of the day off, I may be interested in meeting earlier to get some more paddling in.

I know what the coast guard requires for larger sailboats, but am not certain for small craft, is it just an all-around white light? I have heard that some people make do with glow sticks, but am curious what you use and how you mount it?

Jim

The minimum requirement is a white light you can shine at an on-coming vessel. A flashlight works. I generally have with me a headlamp - very helpful on land - and a strobe. People do creative things with glow tubes, tied to decklines or on the back of a pfd.

Liz

The minimum requirement is a white light you can shine at an on-coming vessel. A flashlight works. I generally have with me a headlamp - very helpful on land - and a strobe. People do creative things with glow tubes, tied to decklines or on the back of a pfd.

Liz

Ha! White lights? I'm sporting all kinds of colorful ones!

Well I was all set to join you to howl tonight but I went into what was described as a VERY impressive V-tach when finishing up a cardiac stress test yesterday, so I'll be undergoing a cathetrization and possibly a nuclear stress test here at Mt Auburn instead! Damn.

Apparently paddling agressively around 120 bpm has been symptom-free, but I returned to biking after a decade's relapse and found a truck sitting on my chest when hitting 140 bpm sprinting uphill a couple of times last week, so maybe it's good that this gets caught early. Sigh....

Hope to join you on the water soon.

Have fun tonight.

Ern

Ha! White lights? I'm sporting all kinds of colorful ones!

Well I was all set to join you to howl tonight but I went into what was described as a VERY impressive V-tach when finishing up a cardiac stress test yesterday, so I'll be undergoing a cathetrization and possibly a nuclear stress test here at Mt Auburn instead! Damn.

Apparently paddling agressively around 120 bpm has been symptom-free, but I returned to biking after a decade's relapse and found a truck sitting on my chest when hitting 140 bpm sprinting uphill a couple of times last week, so maybe it's good that this gets caught early. Sigh....

Hope to join you on the water soon

Have fun tonight.

Ern

Take care Ernie, hope you're feeling fit and ready to paddle soon. :bravo:

Joan