Who needs those stinking PFD's anyway?

Shaila_27

I was out this past Sunday paddling from the Salem Willows to Browns Island in Marblehead and I noticed something peculiar. More than half of the people in kayaks (I have never seen so many out) were not wearing PFD's. Of course there were tandems and SOTs and I guess that type of thing may be expected but I even saw a guy in an NDK explorer and a woman in another proper sea kayak without PFD's on!

I realize that this must be a common thing but I honestly haven't really seen many paddlers take that chance. To top it off, Salem harbor was especially choppy because of all of the wild boat traffic from the 4th of July weekenders. I did hear the guy in the Explorer comment to his companion that maybe they should put their lifejackets over their shoulders while they cross the *very busy, very crazy* channel.

Personal choice is personal choice... I would love to see a little test be given to all these paddlers for the right to go without flotation. Much like a young kid who has to pass a swim test to swim in the deep end, these guys should do a wet exit in open water and see what happens. It reminds me when I was in Conn. for a couple of days. Out of at least a dozen motorcyclists on the interstate, none were with helmet.

I am thankful for connecting with NSPN at the very start of my paddling life and I am glad to have the arsenal of information in my head to help me make those wise decisions now and in the future. Thanks to everyone for the pointers and mentorship over the past year! :Titanic:

I was out this past Sunday paddling from the Salem Willows to Browns Island in Marblehead and I noticed something peculiar. More than half of the people in kayaks (I have never seen so many out) were not wearing PFD's. Of course there were tandems and SOTs and I guess that type of thing may be expected but I even saw a guy in an NDK explorer and a woman in another proper sea kayak without PFD's on!

I realize that this must be a common thing but I honestly haven't really seen many paddlers take that chance. To top it off, Salem harbor was especially choppy because of all of the wild boat traffic from the 4th of July weekenders. I did hear the guy in the Explorer comment to his companion that maybe they should put their lifejackets over their shoulders while they cross the *very busy, very crazy* channel.

Personal choice is personal choice... I would love to see a little test be given to all these paddlers for the right to go without flotation. Much like a young kid who has to pass a swim test to swim in the deep end, these guys should do a wet exit in open water and see what happens. It reminds me when I was in Conn. for a couple of days. Out of at least a dozen motorcyclists on the interstate, none were with helmet.

I am thankful for connecting with NSPN at the very start of my paddling life and I am glad to have the arsenal of information in my head to help me make those wise decisions now and in the future. Thanks to everyone for the pointers and mentorship over the past year! :Titanic:

...and here is the test. Capsize, wet exit, hold on to your boat & paddle, oh and then put on your PFD

Lucky you aren't posting on p-net---you would have about half a dozen paddlers there explain why they shouldn't have to wear a pfd--interesting reasons too like "causes heat stroke" "it chafes my arms and shoulders" " makes visible tan lines"---the good thing is that Darwin generally will sort these people out from the rest of us--but it's a bad thing for their friends and loved ones.

...it's a bad thing for their friends and loved ones.

I hear ya. I am a big believer in the freedoms of personal choice but I am also a big believer in personal responsibility. Sometimes people don't see that their poor judgement can hurt others (ie loved ones). I suppose the safest thing we all could do is not leave the house - or that may lead to caridac disease so maybe that is not safe either...

I am not big on forcing my personal opinions onto others but a little common sense never hurt anyone. Most times people are fortunate enough to live to be dumb another day and in the same right, a few people who have sound judgement and preparedness come to unfortunate ends.

I suppose that this is just more proof that many things don't make sense, no matter how hard we try to fit them into our formulas and models.

I hear ya. I am a big believer in the freedoms of personal choice but I am also a big believer in personal responsibility. Sometimes people don't see that their poor judgement can hurt others (ie loved ones). I suppose the safest thing we all could do is not leave the house - or that may lead to caridac disease so maybe that is not safe either...

I am not big on forcing my personal opinions onto others but a little common sense never hurt anyone. Most times people are fortunate enough to live to be dumb another day and in the same right, a few people who have sound judgement and preparedness come to unfortunate ends.

I suppose that this is just more proof that many things don't make sense, no matter how hard we try to fit them into our formulas and models.

Ah yes...'common sense', but then again, 'common sense is not very common' these days.