Advice for the boatless

dlk

Hello. I am looking for advice on how to advance my paddling without owning a kayak. My girlfriend and I have taken various lessons, gone on group trips (guided and unguided), and rent kayaks on our own. However, it seems that it is difficult to keep finding new and exciting paddles to do near Boston without having our own kayaks (or the ability to transport rentals). We are also travel a good amount, so we miss some of the more interesting (but more rare) trips with groups that provide boats (EMS, various rental places, etc.). Many of the NSPN trips/group paddles would be great, but we would need to rent from somewhere.

Does anybody have advice on interesting paddles where the launch is from a rental location? We are looking for level 2/3 stuff.

Or should we just invest in a car carrier and do off-site rentals? At some point we would like to buy kayaks, especially since renting 5-10 times over the summer gets expensive, but we will need a permanent place to live before we can do that.

Thanks,

David.

Hello. I am looking for advice on how to advance my paddling without owning a kayak. My girlfriend and I have taken various lessons, gone on group trips (guided and unguided), and rent kayaks on our own. However, it seems that it is difficult to keep finding new and exciting paddles to do near Boston without having our own kayaks (or the ability to transport rentals). We are also travel a good amount, so we miss some of the more interesting (but more rare) trips with groups that provide boats (EMS, various rental places, etc.). Many of the NSPN trips/group paddles would be great, but we would need to rent from somewhere.

Does anybody have advice on interesting paddles where the launch is from a rental location? We are looking for level 2/3 stuff.

Or should we just invest in a car carrier and do off-site rentals? At some point we would like to buy kayaks, especially since renting 5-10 times over the summer gets expensive, but we will need a permanent place to live before we can do that.

Thanks,

David.

Around 2005, I was in exactly the same boat (pun absolutely intended). To satisfy my need to paddle, I bought a folding kayak. My Folbot folds up to about the size of a large suitcase, weighs only 35 pounds, gives pretty good performance and is half the cost of a Feathercraft.

Over the past year, as I began paddling more frequently, I stopped assembling and disassembling every time and began leaving it on my car roof (on a cheap foam block rack). By the time August rolled around, I realized I had my folding boat on my roof for 4 weeks straight, with no ill effects other than some UV fading. That is when I realized I could get a rigid boat and leave it on my roof all season. I bought a Nigel Foster Shadow in September, put it in my parents' garage on Thanksgiving, and reclaimed it on Easter Sunday. Its been on my roof since April and will stay there until Thanksgiving (or maybe Christmas if I get a drysuit). I have a lasso lock on it to deter any joy riding by the kids from South Boston High School (which is about 50 yards from where I live).

I couldn't be happier with my choice, although I try not to think about what its doing to my mileage.

If you don't mind driving to the Portsmouth NH area then at Portsmouth Kayak you can rent sea-kayaks and there are lots of level 2-3 opportunities in the area in and around Little Harbor and Odiorne State Park on the Ocean side. See the link below...

http://www.portsmouthkayak.com/

Neil

If you don't mind driving to the Portsmouth NH area then at Portsmouth Kayak you can rent sea-kayaks and there are lots of level 2-3 opportunities in the area in and around Little Harbor and Odiorne State Park on the Ocean side. See the link below...

http://www.portsmouthkayak.com/

Neil

And, in fact, there is a great event going on this Sunday out of Odiorne. Check out the calendar for details!

Carl C.

Around 2005, I was in exactly the same boat (pun absolutely intended). To satisfy my need to paddle, I bought a folding kayak. My Folbot folds up to about the size of a large suitcase, weighs only 35 pounds, gives pretty good performance and is half the cost of a Feathercraft.

Over the past year, as I began paddling more frequently, I stopped assembling and disassembling every time and began leaving it on my car roof (on a cheap foam block rack). By the time August rolled around, I realized I had my folding boat on my roof for 4 weeks straight, with no ill effects other than some UV fading. That is when I realized I could get a rigid boat and leave it on my roof all season. I bought a Nigel Foster Shadow in September, put it in my parents' garage on Thanksgiving, and reclaimed it on Easter Sunday. Its been on my roof since April and will stay there until Thanksgiving (or maybe Christmas if I get a drysuit). I have a lasso lock on it to deter any joy riding by the kids from South Boston High School (which is about 50 yards from where I live).

I couldn't be happier with my choice, although I try not to think about what its doing to my mileage.

Good'un, Marc.

Actually, modern hulls are pretty aerodynamic, so I wouldn't worry about your fuel eco...especially if you keep it under 70mph.

And maybe hauling your beautiful Shadow around increases your PADDLING mileage extensively, eh?

See ya on the water.

Ern

Yes, I imagine that the hull of a sea-kayak <is> aerodynamic, unless a person mounts their boat arse-about-face, or back-to-front, with no cockpit cover, as I am seeing more and more lately! Just weird...

The <weight> of a boat permanently on the roof plus the actual rack itself would of course affect gas-mileage, though.

Good'un, Marc.

Actually, modern hulls are pretty aerodynamic, so I wouldn't worry about your fuel eco...especially if you keep it under 70mph.

And maybe hauling your beautiful Shadow around increases your PADDLING mileage extensively, eh?

See ya on the water.

Ern

My paddling mileage has definitely improved by having my own boat. I've been swamped at work the past few weeks, so I haven't made it to Mystic. Hopefully next Tuesday will be better.

Thanks for the advice. We have done paddles with a lot of the local rental people (North Shore, Plum Island, ERBA). Maybe going slightly further afield to Portsmouth is the answer. But one problem is knowing what are good trips to attempt so that we can be sure to get the time/tides right. Most rental places don't really give suggestions for trips that are not tours. Any specific trip suggestions? I've looked at books, but those trips can be a bit hard to judge. Does the NSPN web site have a list of suggested itineraries anywhere (I've looked, but haven't found anything)?

As for the Sunday Odiorne trip: it looks like it starts at 8:30. However, the rental place only opens at 9. So it seems like it would be impossible for us to join the group paddle.

Thanks again,

David.

Once you figure out storage and roof racks, I would suggest purchasing a used boat. Used boats tend to hold the value thus if you get one then decide it's not for you you can probably sell it for near what you paid for it.

With the rentals you get to test a bunch of different boats and that can be a plus IF you are paddling boats that you would like to test. If you pick-up one of Todd's explorer's for $1400 ( http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=4940 ) it will be very likely be a great starter boat. If you decided it's not the boat for you I think that you shouldn't have too much trouble selling it again for $1400.

-Jason

"So it seems like it would be impossible for us to join the group paddle."

..not unless you give us an idea of your heights and weights, and boats you've enjoyed in the past so maybe there's someone(s) else also going that reads it and is willing to lend you an adequate boat(s) for the day...

...usually that generosity is typical of practice sessions during the week at local lakes, but stranger things have happened in this group! ;) Seems to be a lot of folks interested in Sunday's event. Worth giving it a try!

...or you might just come for the info on the beach...

If you haven't made up your mind on a boat yet, and depending on where you live, CRCK also has a nice "season pass" with takeaway option. It allows you unlimited use of their rental fleet at their locations and something like 15 takeaway days per year. The river's not particularly challenging, but it's still paddling. They have Impex, Necky, WS and P&H boats if I recall.

Phil

David,

If you decided to attend on Sunday and rent from Portsmouth Kayak it's a very short paddle down the Sagamore Creek then take a right under the bridge into Little Harbor and keep right towards Odiorne "Seavey Creek". You'll see the wooden bridge with everyones cars/kayaks . Check out the map Carl posted on the trips message board. Or just ask at Portsmouth Kayak.

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=4952

http://www.carlsbits.com/charts/portsharbor1.pdf

Neil

Thanks,

David.

Renting logistics are difficult... especially w/o a rack. Here is a rack that would be great for traveling: http://www.handirackuk.com/ I bought one at New England Small Craft in Rowley awhile back.

If you want to rent, you find that you need to pick up the night before and drop off the next day. Wonder if that is considered a three day rental...

First few years paddling I lived with my boat on the car. Best way to do that would be with a fiberglass kayak as you don't have to worry about the sun softening the plastic. Then you just need to find storage for the winter (assuming you don't winter paddle). Awfully hard to leave a boat on all year round in the northeast as the snow would be a hassle.

If you really love it, you can work through the logistics.

Good Luck!

Suz

Actually the product looks pretty good in my opinion if someone didn't want to install a rack on their vehicle. Although a little pricey at approx $100 US it's still a lot less than a Thule or Yakima rack system.

Malone is now distributing them as well see the link below.

http://www.maloneautoracks.com/overview.ht...atableRoofRacks

Kittery Trading Post and Cabela's are also listed as distributors if anyone wanted to check them out.

Neil