Essex Bay, Crane Beach (circumnavigation?)

bbjorn

I'm interested in exploring the Essex Bay/ Hog Island /Crane Beach area this Sunday, 6/8, with a possible circumnavigation of the latter. Also, possible surf action at the south end of the beach. Put in could be either at Pavilion Beach or Conomo Point in Essex.

The tides should be favorable -- low at 10:10 AM, high at 4:05 PM.

Anyone else interested in joining the fun? I'm flexible in terms of what the outing will entail, and the circumnavigation would only be if others also wanted the same. Basically, I want to finally explore by kayak what I observed on several hikes around Crane Beach this past winter.

I have never done this trip and am looking for advice from anyone who has. Is there any benefit, other than tidal flow, to doing the circumnavigation clockwise versus counter-clockwise? Anyone have an estimate of average paddling time for the loop, not counting play time along the way?

Long-range forecast is for isolated thunderstorms both Sat. and Sun., so this will obviously be weather-dependent.

Blaine B.

Castle Neck circle is about 11.5 mi. Assuming stops for exploring or play in the surf or rest, it's about 4 hours out. Ideally you want to leave Pavillion after low tide, clockwise around Cranes and enter Essex Bay and the Castle River with the tide following you. By time you reach Fox Creek you should have enough water to get through and back to Pavillion. I don't know exactly how much tide you need to travel Fox Creek, but I think an hour before to an hour after high tide is a conservative window. I'd like to join you but I already have plans for Sunday.

Especially if its your first time I'd recommend coming through Fox Creek in a southerly direction. Its easier to find the way from that direction. I don't know enough about the tidal flows to say which way the water would be flowing versus the high and low tides, however, three hours either side of high tide is certain to be passable and one hour either side of low tide should be avoided. Surf can form along the beach at other places but this time of year you won't to be able to do so where the bathers are. You want to consider wind direction as it may effect your ability to get from end of the beach to the other. One trip I did was 2+hours from break to north end of beach and ~30 minutes (sailing - not paddling much) in return. As for the back side, going behind the islands can be interesting and the high tide in the afternoon will provide the greatest opportunity to do so. As the tide falls, you can find yourself a short linear distance from your destination while a much longer paddling distance, i.e. the flats rise above the bottom of your boat. The best tour guide I know is Walter Mears who will tell you about the submarine pens but I believe he is beyond busy.

I have never done this trip and am looking for advice from anyone who has. Is there any benefit, other than tidal flow, to doing the circumnavigation clockwise versus counter-clockwise? Anyone have an estimate of average paddling time for the loop, not counting play time along the way?

If you launch from Pavilion Beach, you'll want to go clockwise since you'll want to go through the Fox Creek last, on the highest tide possible so you can see power boats coming and they can see you. It is a well used cut-through on weekends. It is not that difficult to find the entrance if you hug the back side of Crane Beach, past a few homes. Keep on going until you see the bridge on Argilla Road that goes over the creek. It is not hard to see the bridge. Do not turn down anything on your right if you do not see the bridge. At the start of your trip, as you paddle on the outside, heading toward the entrance to the bay you may see waves starting to built, far ahead of you. They can get pretty big, but as the tide gets higher they start to disappear. Depending on your timing you may or may not have waves. It is a great trip around and may take between 4-5 hours depending on your pace and how long you stop for a break. Hugging the shore the whole way is only about 10 miles, so you might be able to do the loop at lot faster. The longest part for me always seems to be the crossing from Pavilion over to Crane Beach. The water can be like a washing machine there, impeding your progress. If you take a look at the area on google earth it will give you an idea of where the Fox creek comes out into the bay. It is behind a grassy island. Have a great trip.

-Nancy

I might be interested. Might meet up with some folks in the Essex bay portion.

However, sometimes getting in through the break at the southern end of Cranes can be tricky in a low tide with confused, high seas.

I have never had a problem finding the entrance to Fox Creek from the Essex Basin side.

I'd love to have a mid to late morning start if possible.

Karen

Thanks Bob B, Gene, Nancy for your tips and recommendations.

Bob C - are you still interested? It sounds like leaving Pavilion Beach just after low tide, say 10:30, should work for you and allow you to make it to Lowell by 4. That doesn't leave us a lot of play time along the way, but the pace should still be reasonably leisurely.

Forecast is for a scorcher, but what better place to be! Winds should be light, so the 1st leg heading south along the beach into the wind won't be a slog. We should hit Essex Bay by noon and will have the incoming tide with us. We'd get to Fox Creek by 1:30 or so, about 2 1/2 hours before high tide, which hopefully will be enough water for us to get through. We should make Pavilion by about 3.

Karen, are you still interested? As of now, it's only the three of us who have expressed interest. Maybe once others realize how hot it's going to get everywhere else, they'll come to their senses and want to get out where it's cool.

Blaine

I'm going to be hauling a load of antique bricks all afternoon. If anyone wants to reach me, call my cell # (listed in my profile).

I'm interested in exploring the Essex Bay/ Hog Island /Crane Beach area this Sunday, 6/8, with a possible circumnavigation of the latter. Also, possible surf action at the south end of the beach. Put in could be either at Pavilion Beach or Conomo Point in Essex.

The tides should be favorable -- low at 10:10 AM, high at 4:05 PM.

Anyone else interested in joining the fun? I'm flexible in terms of what the outing will entail, and the circumnavigation would only be if others also wanted the same. Basically, I want to finally explore by kayak what I observed on several hikes around Crane Beach this past winter.

Long-range forecast is for isolated thunderstorms both Sat. and Sun., so this will obviously be weather-dependent.

Blaine B.

Tom -

Welcome aboard! Look forward to seeing you at Pavilion tomorrow.

Blaine