altering neoprene wetsuits

Guest guest

Guest guest

I have a farmer jane wetsuit that I need to take tucks in to fit more snugly at the neck opening front and back, and at the ankles (I had to buy a size L to fit my legs). I have heard this isn't too difficult, but I want to get it right. Does anyone know what the protocol is? Or is there an article or book that out there that would walk me through it? I welcome any advice. Thanks.

It can certainly be done and many dive shops offer alteration services or farm them out to alteration businesses. If you don't want to tackle it yourself, call a few dive shops for references.

The basic procedure is to cut the material, then reglue the edges using a special neoprene glue. NESC typically stocks it, or you can order it from http://www.johnrsweet.com/. If you have access to a blind stitch machine, you can use it to sew the seam for reinforcement. You can also blind stitch it by hand. Another alternative reinforcement is iron-on seam tape, which Sweet's may also have. However, reinforcement may not be necessary if the alterations are not in a high stress area. The glue bond is very strong if you do it right.

United Divers Inc

59 Washington St

Somerville, MA 02143-4407

(617) 623-3483

When I bought my wetsuit from United Divers (above) I discussed alterations. They have a women who specializes in alternation of neoprene and it was relatively inexpensive.

Hope this helps,

Al