Heart rate monitors -- how water resistant?

djlewis

Impelled by REI's sale, I was about to spring for the Suunto T1 at $85 (regularly $120). I really just want a basic model, and with the sale, this seems like that plus more (replaceable battery, calories burned) for the same price. I want to use it both for paddling and on the treadmill.

But then I saw this in the specs... Water-resistance -- (wrist unit) 30 meters. Does that mean the chest band is NOT water resistant? If so, it's obviously no good for kayaking.

Anybody know the story? Just how water resistant are these things -- any brand (like the Iron Man FS1 for $63, which is more basic but says water resistant to 50m).

Any other advice?

Thanks. --David.

Do you ever get to Walden or some other place where triathletes train frequently? I believe that triathletes use hrm as a tool; and can probably answer how well they work in the water.

Do you ever get to Walden or some other place where triathletes train frequently? I believe that triathletes use hrm as a tool; and can probably answer how well they work in the water.

I was in a shop years ago that sold among other things watches. Next to the case was a description of what these numbers really ment & how they were determined. To determine its water resistance a watch is put in a tank of water & the tank is pressurized to the pressure it would experience @ a particular depth. Their was no adjustment for movement. As an example the sign then gave was that a watch rated for say 30 meters would in reality be good in the rain or for swimming, but not to 30 meters if it was experiencing any movement. Unfortunitly I don't remember any of the numbers. About ten years ago I was buying a watch that was rated for 100 meters. The sales person kept mentioning that fact. Finally I told her that if the watch was @ 100 meters & I was wearing it, I would not be worried about the watch. Hope that helps, Chuck

I've used a Polar heart monitor for paddling and frankly never worried about the chest strap because you need wet both electrodes on the strap for the sensor to pick up your heart rate. Also, I found when paddling and trying to keep my heart within "range" I was worn out. I had to consistently paddle over 4 mphs and if I stopped my heart reate dropped out of range and the watch rewarded me with it's insessant beeping. :headBang: I think my blood pressure meds are interfering.

So, I got some good workouts, but I was tired. Also, considering looking into one of the Garmins hoping I can monitor paddling speed and distance too. Oh yeah, Polar's are compatible with a lot of treadmills

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm leaning toward buying it -- as an entry-level unit. Not sure I want to pay more for something fancier until/unless I've gotten more into it.

As for water resistance, I realize that these things must take a fair amount of moisture and still function -- sweat if nothing else. I was just wondering if I'd be able to wear one and do rescue or rolling practice in the same session, without having to strip and remove the strap.

--David.

If you really want an entry level one check out bikenashbar.com or performancebike.com. They usually have ones around $50 or less. (buying one at rei you have their guarantee in the even that you have any problems)

I've used two different Polar HRM models swimming laps in a pool without problem. As for beeping, they can be set for different ranges of effort, and will beep if you're working above or below the range you set. Also, the beeping can be turned off.