(New) boat recommendations?

glenn

OK, it was warm enough out today for even a non-dry-suit-owning newbie like me to start looking forward to getting back in the ocean. Which means that I need to buy a boat!

I had been basically planning to get a plastic Avocet, but then my dear fiancee bought one, and it seems dull to have two exactly the same boats in one household, so now I need another idea. I do *like* the Avocet, so I'm intrigued by the new Aquanaut RM, which appears to be a little longer and thus might keep up a faster pace with the same effort. And then there's Valley's new Quarajaq, which is "Inuit-style" in some way I'm not too clear on (harder chines?).

Anybody have any input on these new models, or counter-recommedations for other existing options in a similar vein?

Assuming you have already been through this demo-ing process and the Avocet is the boat for you, I'd say be dull and get the Avocet! Boat envy stinks! If you are really trying hard not to be dull, differentiate with your paddle instead.

The very best boat on the market is relative to the individual, so if you are lucky enough to have found it in the Avocet, go with it.

Thats my .016 Euro.

_"same boat as wife having, dull" Shane

"Would a knife help protect you against a ‘curious’ shark? I don’t know but I would like the option." - Trevor Gardner

It's difficult to beat the Avocet. It's the plastic boat you are most likely to see an experienced paddler in (especially if they are training trip leaders). Maybe you could get a different color.

Please note that if you get a faster boat than your fiance/wife, you should be prepared to end up with the slower boat.

-Dee

Demo days are coming up and they're a great opportunity to actually get a feel for how a boat fits and handles. A few others in the general category of the Avocet you may want to check out include the Wilderness Systems Tempest 165, the new P&H Capellas, Necky Chatham 16, etc. Also, used glass boats can often be had for the price of new plastics ones so demo some glass boats as well then patrol the classified boards for deals.

Have fun!

Guest guest

Glenn:

While another Avocet in the family should be no shame (do get a different color), I basically agree that getting a different boat gives both of you more choices. So you should be asking yourself what you (and possibly that fiancee of yours) want to do with the boat. Playing in rocks and surf? Gunk-holing? Just goin' crusin' on a Sunday? Camping? Winter day trips? The advantage of two styles of boats is that you can swap or pick and choose depending on the use.

That said, the Aquanaut is a very well-balanced boat. It has the Avocet cross-section but is stretched to 17.5 feet, so it is faster but with the same great secondary stability. I've only been in the glass version, but it is a sweet, reasonably fast, great-handling boat. The characeristic that struck me was the great balance of tracking and turning, stability and playfulness. The VCP construction is about as good as you're going to get in plastic.

One possible drawback: any 17+ foot plastic boat is going to be a bit heavy. Also, as a new boat, you're unlikely to find a used one at a decent price.

Like Carl, I've been hearing good things about the Tempest (met the designer last week at the PaddleShow), mostly that it is also manages the tracking/turning balance with aplomb. But I've never paddled one.

Scott

Ahem... Scott's advice is a useful angle. But bear in mind that he and Beth have ~three~ boats... and she doesn't paddle nearly as much as he does. So Scott always gets his pick of two, and frequently three boats. If your situation isn't like that -- say you both plan to paddle a lot, and often at the same time -- you might want to take that advice with the proverbial grain of NaCl.

Actually, it might indeed make sense for you to get somethng different, Glenn. But why not go for composite. That way, you two can fight over it and get a head start on marriage ;-)). But the one who gets the plastic job won't feel too short-changed, since it's a darn nice boat, and arguably the best of that breed. And when only one is paddling, they get the object of boat-envy.

Of course, if you do go glass or kevlar, the options are ~much~ more extensive. You can probably spend the entire spring trying to decide, and generate lots of passionate NSPN message board traffic in the process.

--David.

Oh, and here's another question it hadn't dawned on me to take seriously until I managed a rentry-and-roll self-rescue in placid pool conditions over the weekend:

Ocean cockpit. Is this variable worth bothering to even consider? I'm a novice with fairly low-key aspirations, so it's hard to imagine that I need to think about this, but anything that hints at a lunatic purist fringe always appeals to me...

glenn, there only three or four ocean-cockpit boats that you'd be likely to consider, i would say, and they probably all fall into the "seriously-twitchy" class...(you feel up to a pintail? there is one on paddling dot net right now; but the seller says not whether it is ocean or keyhole)

i think you need to try a wonderful sirius! they turn very nicely if you get them right up on edge, i assure you, despite my words elsewhere about them tracking "so straight". i shall hold off on replacing the seat with foam, since i am now certainly going to part with it. the plastic seat is fairly comfortable as it is. the fresh keel strip is almost finished (i get to it this past weekend) and you could try out the boat quite soon. marc schlosser has a sirius and likes his, i believe.

Glenn,

I paddle an outer island, a wood strip low volume boat with an ocean cockpit. I had a few concerns about it when I built it, but the designer convinced me to try it. He was right - I now like it. I find two advantages and one disadvantage. It handles waves on the deck better with less likelyhood of the skirt letting go and most important, it allows for knee braces just were you like them under the deck towards the center not the sides. The disadvantage is that getting in and out is a bit different and takes a bit of practice. You sit on the rear deck, use your paddle in the water to steady the boat and then just slide in/out. For this reason, I would not get an ocean cockpit on a boat with a high stern deck. Happy boat hunting!

Glenn,

I forgot to note that I probably am in the "lunatic purist fringe" so take my comments with that in mind. Anyone who spends the hours with wood strips and epoxy probably qualifies. You are not simply a novice if you are doing a reentry and roll - well done!

Glenn... I, an avowed non-purist-lunatic-fringer, ended up with an ocean cockpit boat by virtue of getting a really good deal on it. With a 35 inch inseam, you can understand why this might seem a foolhardy choice for me. However, I will have to admit that, once in the cockpit, the boat is very comfortable and offers significantly better control than does a keyhole cockpit. The rub (literally, for me) is the entry and exit, which does require some finesse for those of us who are long of leg. This becomes problematic for me primarily in surf launching and landing where the additional time required to enter or exit can result in lots of water in the cockpit and/or being unceremoniously dumped out of the boat by a wave. But, hey, that's fun, right? So, I'm considering going to a boat with keyhole cockpit but I'm a bit torn as the ocean cockpit is really great once in the boat and paddling. You are, of course, welcome to give the boat a try sometime!