great day....

rick stoehrer

mouth of the merrimack today. 5-6-ish swell just rolling in. some fine, fine rides. really cool to see the powerboats surfing back into the river as well.

south of the mouth was a rough, jumbled mess....delightful. really something just HOW fast that current just leads you down along plum...really had to keep an eye on that today.

cuppa over on the reservation and then went and played the little sand bar on the plum side for what it was worth on the flooding tide.

saw lotsa ducks that had pintails (but they were darker colored...don't know if they were 'pintail' ducks) pretty cool.

mouth of the merrimack today. 5-6-ish swell just rolling in. some fine, fine rides. really cool to see the powerboats surfing back into the river as well.

south of the mouth was a rough, jumbled mess....delightful. really something just HOW fast that current just leads you down along plum...really had to keep an eye on that today.

cuppa over on the reservation and then went and played the little sand bar on the plum side for what it was worth on the flooding tide.

saw lotsa ducks that had pintails (but they were darker colored...don't know if they were 'pintail' ducks) pretty cool.

The ducks were probably oldsquaws.

Sorry I missed the action. Sounds just grand.

I live nearby. I usually launch right at the center of PI, although there is a giant mountain of beach sand there right now. The mouth and the sandbar are a couple of my favorites. Sandbar has shifted this year, though. Possibly as a result of the deterioration of south jetty. The sandbar appears more pronounced (at all tides) and and its effects are visible virtually the length of the beach now. This is great if you are looking for some waves (small though they may be). Too bad I missed it. Just bought a new boat and would like to try it out in some "conditions."

I assure you that Rick really does know his waterfowl since he is a registered Maine Guide and I know he had to study field identification for his piece of paper -- therefore he surely does know the difference between buffelheads and red-breasted mergansers! (Right, Rick?)

<How> long have you had my field-guides? ; ^ )

those aren't muscles i flex often christopher....they all fall into the vague category marine chicken and generally my only question is what do they taste like so really for me, old squaw vs pintail is a step in the right direction.

i've brought your book to every paddle i've emailed/called you about..not my fault you can't muster the ooomph to get into a boat and paddle with your old mates.