good kayaking (prescription) sunglasses ?

Phil Allen

Hi All-

Well its time for me to get new sunglasses (prescription) for the first time in several years, so given that I'm on the water alot I thought I'd ask everyone what they like. I've been eyeing some of the newer variants that have integrated straps (like seaspecs )but haven't had any experience with them. Anybody know how well they work for day to day stuff?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Phil

Hi Phil,

As I have to wear bifocals and my eyes are useless with the non-bifocular Ray Bans I wear when driving, I wear Rec Specs whilst paddling. They were originally designed for tennis/racquet ball, so they come with a strap, wrap around your temples, and are made of very sturdy material. I've been able to successfully read a chart AND see where that buoy is that someone is pointing to. B)

My complaint is the cost ($300+ -- and I don't have a particularly complex script) and the fact that the strap isn't exactly the best, is hard to adjust and stretches out easily. I've also had some of the coating come off one of the lens. I will say, though, that I'm also not always good about rinsing the glasses in fresh water after I wear them, either, so perhaps if I was a little bit more careful, this wouldn't have happened.

I am taking mine back to my opthamologist this week, to see what they can do to fix them as the glasses are not even a year old yet.

However, for ease of use, not having to worry about rolling and loosing them, and, of course, looking way cool (mine are a nice neonish red, which clashes with the Shred Ready Pink helmet..they come in a hot silver, too and probably a glittery blue), I'm pretty satisfied with the product.

Deb :surfcool::roll:

I wear standard sunglasses with a strap. I haven't lost even half of $300 on sunglasses kayaking, though I know someone who has. My son recently got transition lenses but found that auto glass blocks the UV rays and they don't work when driving. I generally shun perscription sunglasses since I've been able to wear contacts. If you're wearing contacts, or could, that's what I'd recommend.

I think they're called "croakies" but it's a light coloured floating strap that's inexpensive. Some say they look funny on but you'd have to wonder with the baggy dry suit, smelly wet suit, and/or droopy spray skirt why anyone would care.

I lost a pair of prescription glasses with croakies windsurfing off of Kalmus beach in Hyannis. Because the neoprene will stretch if you are moving quickly or in current the glasses can be pulled up and off your head.

I prefer "chums" which don't stretch and have a bead that you use to cinch tight on the back of your head.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2493%2E2

Get in touch with eyeglasses guru Karen Gladstone--she will point in the right direction on the best selection or at least give you expert advise on the most appropriate glasses for your needs--Les

Hi All-

Well its time for me to get new sunglasses (prescription) for the first time in several years, so given that I'm on the water alot I thought I'd ask everyone what they like. I've been eyeing some of the newer variants that have integrated straps (like seaspecs )but haven't had any experience with them. Anybody know how well they work for day to day stuff?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Phil

Hi All,

Yes, I am aware of straps that could/would/should keep normal glasses on my head. I do like the chums more than croakies for their adjustability, but have almost lost glasses using both (they were kept in place by the helmet). I'm more interested in some of the variants like Deb's recSpecs as they should provide better coverage, wind protection and might be more abuse tolerant than trad. glasses. Not sure if I will run them as bifocals both as a cost cutting measure and because my near vision is 20:15 (its the near-far transitions that are getting painful).

Phil

Get in touch with eyeglasses guru Karen Gladstone--she will point in the right direction on the best selection or at least give you expert advise on the most appropriate glasses for your needs--Les

L-

Thanks. What's her Login name?

P

I am a fan of BARZ....available in the US through Murrays....love mine...rx'ed and strapped.....

i have not really switched over to contacts and normal sunglasses while on the water yet....mebbe next year...or mebbe pkr instead........

r

I lost two pair of RX'd sunglasses using Croakies when I was rolling. They weren't on my face, but around my neck as at the time I was still rolling with my eyes open.

Phil, the reason I have bifocal Rec-specs is on the recommendation of my opthamologist and for convenience as I'm pretty nearsighted. I also had bifocals in my old Bolle sunglasses, which worked well also, but, again, there was always the fear of loosing them. Another factor was the fit: I popped lenses from wear and tear and the frames, even the bendable nylon ones, would get misshapen from either letting the glasses hang off the Croakie (and thus getting mushed) or I'd stuff them under my PFD and then forget they were there.

I've not had these problems with the RecSpecs, despite the issues I mentioned in my first posting. The design (and the cost) tends to make you remember to keep them on your face.

Of course, you can always do what Bob did: Get the old peepers lasered. Now he can buy cheap sunglasses at the LL Bean outlet -- which the opthomologist recommended as being a lot of bang for the buck -- and not have to worry when the strap gives out and the glasses become a sacrifice to the River/Ocean gods...

Or you can still be cool and buy a pair of Natives with interchangeble colored lenses as Bob did. I've noticed, though, that these don't go on the water much...

Thief, those BARZ are nice looking glasses!!!

Deb

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update.

Ordered some prescription sunglasses from SportRX on the web. I'd say they have ~50+ frame styles from many manufacturers (including many that were discussed here) that they can put different levels of script into. Fast and efficient once I ordered. Other than being a currently happy customer, I have no relationship with them.

Phil

Just a quick update.

Ordered some prescription sunglasses from SportRX on the web. I'd say they have ~50+ frame styles from many manufacturers (including many that were discussed here) that they can put different levels of script into. Fast and efficient once I ordered. Other than being a currently happy customer, I have no relationship with them.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Could you post the website for these? I still haven't taken mine down to my opthamologist to have them checked out for the "issues", so, if things don't work out, I'd be interested in other glasses.

Let us know how they work out.

Deb :surfcool::roll: