Greenland paddle builder spotted

Ben Fuller

While most of you are sniffing around in Kittery, I wanted to let folks know that a non obvious maker has come through with a GP. It's called being reponsive to the community. Discussion started at the WoodenBoat show last summer with members of the Walden Pond Scum. The company built several paddles and then sent some down for testing. Now has a production item of Maine spruce, unfinished, paddle out of the box or tune it bit yourself. A little over a hundred bucks. It's at the Maine Boatbuilders show. I picked it up, felt pretty good in hand, nice and light, stiff. Since this is the non commericial side of the forum I guess I can't mention the company but its in Orono, Maine and is best known for oars and canoe paddles.

I believe the category of commercial posting refers to a person or company posting a message on behalf of their own commercial venture. I don't think it prohibits a paddler without a financial or employment interest from mentioning, reviewing or even recommending a commercial product or retailer that they themselves have seen, tried or heard about.

For example, we can certainly say things like "Take a look at the such-and-such tent down at REI -- it's on sale this week" or "you can get that at strapworks.com." It's just that REI or Strapworks can't themselves run a posting like that, since that would be an ad. Hey, if the rule were really strict, we couldn't even discuss, say, NDK boats by name.

Yes, there is a gray area, but I don't think this case is in it. So, a simple Google search for "orono paddles oars" turns up...

http://www.shawandtenney.com/

--David.

...the blade profile is pretty nice, but the loom is really thick in both dimensions. It would provide a good starting point for someone who doesn't have the time and/or equipment to cut and shape a paddle from scratch, but can fine tune the loom shape to their personal preference.

BTW, the Maine Boatbuilder's Show is interesting, but there's almost no kayaking content and only a handful of canoe builders there. It's also expensive as shows go, $25 with parking.

I think the goal set by Dan Segal and Turner was achieved..... something that would work out of the box and could be tuned to suit. I know that they both like the more rectangular shape. They also wanted to achieve a underproduced paddle while most of the commercial offerings are at least twice the price and quite fancy.