Great Pond THURSDAY Paddle

Doug

A couple of us will be paddling Great Pond in Kingston NH THURSDAY 4/16. I will be there 3:30 - 4:00. The others said closer to 5:00. Looks like I'll be the first one in the water. Could hit 70 degrees (air not water) Ha Ha! Any interest? I could get there earlier....

Doug

Yes, the boat ramp on Main St (right down from Mr Mikes gas and snacks), parking is a bit snug, but should be fine this time of year.

Great Pond is also the headwaters for the Pow Wow River (if I'm not mistaken).

parts of which makes for some nice padlling with the high water during springtime.

The put in for some of that is off New Boston Rd Kingston.

A couple of us will be paddling Great Pond in Kingston NH THURSDAY 4/16. I will be there 3:30 - 4:00. The others said closer to 5:00. Looks like I'll be the first one in the water. Could hit 70 degrees (air not water) Ha Ha! Any interest? I could get there earlier....

Doug

I'll be there (thurs, 17) but not until 5:00....I'll just find you out there......don't wait on me.

Lake Winnipesaukee is at 37 degrees.

They must be measuring it under the ice as there is very little open water now.

Opechee is largely open and I will be paddling SOF there later today. Will see how the temps feel as rolling is on the agenda....at least from the comfort of home it is. Not sure the difference between 37 and 42 is worth much. With a hood, not a big deal really.

Ed Lawson

Will see how the temps feel as rolling is on the agenda..

Measured temp on surface of Opechee was 40 degrees today. Lovely 1 1/2 hour paddle while listening to Loons singing, chasing Canadian Geese, and in general enjoying time on water until jet ski arrived. Followed by 3/4 hour of obligatory stuff A/K/A skills practice. Doing chest sculls with head under water until air ran out resulted in impression I had eaten ice cream, but no regretfully no impression of flavor.

Ed Lawson

For anyone interested, here is my lake temp source for Winnipesaukee...

http://winnipesaukee.com/tempcal/index.cgi

Here is another site for similar info and it too shows 37 degrees. As I suspect you know, the Lakeport dam is the source of the main flow into Lake Oppechee and the current there is quite strong now and makes for eddyline practice.

http://www.blackcatnh.com/weather/