Non-Dry Suit Paddling

alcoons

Some questioins for those of us beginning our second season with the club:

(1) When do club paddles switch over from the required dry suit season to the required wet suit season?

(2) Since the water is still going to be quite cold, what clothing advice might you give paddlers who are going out at the beginning of wet suit season? By that I mean, yes I paddled in an inexpensive wet suit at the end of last October but I believe the water will be much colder this spring. Should we have neoprene gloves, head covering, full/thick wet suits, ...?????

(3) Should I buy a new kayak with heated seat and remote starter?

Thanks in advance,

Al

>Some questioins for those of us beginning our second season

>with the club:

>

>(1) When do club paddles switch over from the required dry

>suit season to the required wet suit season?

>

Personally, I wouldn't go out without a drysuit until the water is at least 50 degrees. Right now it is 37 degrees.

>(2) Since the water is still going to be quite cold, what

>clothing advice might you give paddlers who are going out at

>the beginning of wet suit season? By that I mean, yes I

>paddled in an inexpensive wet suit at the end of last

>October but I believe the water will be much colder this

>spring. Should we have neoprene gloves, head covering,

>full/thick wet suits, ...?????

>

When the water is still in the low 50s but the air is much warmer, I wear a drytop with the wetsuit. Water does get into the drytop in the event of a swim, but it enters slowly unless one is truly thrashing about in the water in which case it will enter more quickly. However, the water still enters slowly enough that you stay much warmer than without it.

If you already have a drytop with a double tunnel, you might want to look into a non-breathable bib. Kokatat makes one for about $100 and Navarro makes one for quite a bit less. It's a bit of a hassle compared with a full drysuit, but if you carefully roll the top and bottom together, it will keep you dry and is better than not paddling. This is what I used last year and I never regretted it for a moment. I did sew some velcro to each tunnel to make rolling them together easier.

>(3) Should I buy a new kayak with heated seat and remote

>starter?

>

I think that the electric bilge pump option would be a better investment.

Guest guest

I took an unexpected swim in mid 40s water in Alaska,while doing an over zealous seal launch. I was wearing a dry top with a full farmer john and boots. I was amazed at how well it worked to keep me comfortable. The water seeped in slow enough to avoid a major chill. Still,I wouldn't paddle in 30-40s water with less than a drysuit normally.

By the way Al,have you considered the heated paddle shaft option,or the submersible DVD player?

I am a firm believer in testing the clothing you intend to paddle in, for all water temperatures. Do it close to shore, with a friend dressed to help you out if necessary and a warm car or building nearby. That is really the only way to find out if your gear works for you. People vary tremendously in their tolerance to cold. And dunk your head. A cheap neo cap provides quite a bit of protection.

As for the drysuit/wetsuit with drytop issue, I am VERY concerned about exposure to hypothermia but do not find temperature rules to be all that helpful. My real criteria is: what is my risk of exposure to hypothermia. So, when surfing at Nahant, for example, I could wear a wetsuit/drytop combo even when the water is below 50, because I am staying close to shore and my car is parked right there with dry clothes and a working heater.

On the other hand, if I am paddling to Thatcher Island, or even to Misery, I would want to be in my drysuit since a capsize could put me in the open ocean. Even if I were with people who I trust to get me back in my kayak quickly, ##### happens. I could lose contact with my kayak and the wind could blow it away, for example. That would leave me exposed while my very capable friends towed it back or carried me on their deck to the nearest land. Either way, I would not want to be hanging around in a wet suit.

Tooling along the Annisquam, I know I can land just about anywhere and be at someone's house or a road. Not so, the Essex River, which is mostly marsh with no houses and no easy access to roads.

For official club activities, the trip leader will specify if drysuits are required.

Liz N.