theft provides opportunity for new camera

glad

After paddling and birding in the Si'an Kaan Reserve in Tulum Mexico [trip report to follow] my rental car trunk was broken into. Among other things, my waterproof binoculars and WP Optio Pentax camera were taken.

Also, taken was my only warm shell which made for a chilly trip back from the airport.

Overall the Pentax Optio WP was great, but ate up a lot of juice cause there was no view finder just the screen.

I had been basically happy with the camera but since there is now an opportunity to replace it, could you please give me your suggestions?

After paddling and birding in the Si'an Kaan Reserve in Tulum Mexico [trip report to follow] my rental car trunk was broken into. Among other things, my waterproof binoculars and WP Optio Pentax camera were taken.

Also, taken was my only warm shell which made for a chilly trip back from the airport.

Overall the Pentax Optio WP was great, but ate up a lot of juice cause there was no view finder just the screen.

I had been basically happy with the camera but since there is now an opportunity to replace it, could you please give me your suggestions?

Not sure what version of the Pentax Optio you had, but I just upgraded from an original Optio WP to the latest model the Optio W30.

The W30 has a wider screen (still no view finder), a larger capacity battery and can handle high capacity memory card up to 8GB. It also has the ability to to take automatic shots at intervals from a minimum of 10 secs to whatever time you set.

Overall, its a much better camera than the original Optio WP or the Optio W10, at a much cheaper price. (I paid $216 for my W30)

Not sure what version of the Pentax Optio you had, but I just upgraded from an original Optio WP to the latest model the Optio W30.

The W30 has a wider screen (still no view finder), a larger capacity battery and can handle high capacity memory card up to 8GB. It also has the ability to to take automatic shots at intervals from a minimum of 10 secs to whatever time you set.

Overall, its a much better camera than the original Optio WP or the Optio W10, at a much cheaper price. (I paid $216 for my W30)

Thanks, Cathy. I was thinking that the 'upgrade' from the Optio WP to the W30 made sense too. Is the size pretty much the same? I understand it 'ssuppose to be more waterproof as well. Has that been your experience?

Thanks, Cathy. I was thinking that the 'upgrade' from the Optio WP to the W30 made sense too. Is the size pretty much the same? I understand it 'ssuppose to be more waterproof as well. Has that been your experience?

Hi Karen,

I have dropped my W10 in the water two times...not to the bottom thanks to David's suggestion of using the retractable badge thingy as a way of securing items to your person while allowing removal from the pocket for use and return thereto when done! In short, two swims with no neg impact!!!

I love mine...and since I drowned my cannon, it is my only camera.

maryb

I received an Olympus 790sw for Christmas. So far I like the perfomance but I haven't used it paddling out on the water - just in pool sessions and for personal use. It is shockproof (when dropped from 5ft and under), it is waterproof to 10ft without a case and it is ok to have in freezing temps. The lcd screen is large but I don't think it has a viewfinder. You can put it on different powersave options and I bought 2 back-up batteries for $20 online (way cheaper than olympus site). I have heard that the battery is short-lived but I haven't had that experience. The video clips are pretty clear and you can zoom before (not during) filming for a better shot. I have used it underwater during the pool sessions while taping people rolling and it works well. I also find it easy to hold and snap, but it may be different for different people.

The Olympus 770sw works to 30ft underwater without a case and it is crushproof but I can't really say that I will be 10meters underwater too often. If so, my PFD certainly didn't do it's job. :jawdrop: I thought the 790 had better picture taking options and features also.

I simply like the fact that I can drop it, stick it right into my pfd and I don't have to be too careful if I am in a hurry to put it away (or need to leave it out and attached to my pfd when I need my hands on my paddle in a hurry). Later when I have time I will try to post pictures and/or pool session video clips so you can see what they look like. I am using it as my primary camera on and off of the water and I know that I will be the coolest Aunt to my 14 nieces and nephews this summer when I show them that I can take pictures and video underwater!

I hope this works... Here is a scaled down version of the video from the Olympus 790. It definitely looks better when the file size is not shrunken down. There also is a microphone in the camera that works above and below water but for the sake of the example, I took the actual sound out. I will say that it is difficult to film under water with a PFD on. :haha:

Olympus_790_Examples.mov

Here are a couple of pics from it too. I haven't had many opportunities to take pictures out on the water.

post-100578-1206194225_thumb.jpg

post-100578-1206194235_thumb.jpg

I've used my W30 about 10 times now and it is far superior than the original Optio WP. It has better waterproofing, a larger screen, stronger battery and all in roughly the same size package. I'm really pleased with it.