Saturday and Sunday Paddle 3/15-16

rossjb1

Lets get something going for this coming weekend. Im free both days. Bob, how about another shot at Graves? Anything else in the harbor? Maine? Might be nice to paddle the Merrimack w/o the boat traffic. How about something close to a brew pub for a few beers afterwards.

Lets get something going for this coming weekend. Im free both days. Bob, how about another shot at Graves? Anything else in the harbor? Maine? Might be nice to paddle the Merrimack w/o the boat traffic. How about something close to a brew pub for a few beers afterwards.

Ross,

I might be up for a trip to Graves. I would launch from City point and meet your group out on the water. Let me know if you able to get a group.

-Jason

Lets get something going for this coming weekend.

Well, there is the Red Hook brewery and pub in Portsmouth. A bit far from the water though.

Water? Its cold..its winter...fish are reported to...nevermind...there are pool sessions with warm water that is unsullied...you have to dress up in all kinds of stuff in winter they say, but if you are crazy and prefer not to play in a bathtub....maybe.

If Jason does not burn you out on Sat....maybe the timid NH woodland creatures would peek out from under the snow on Sunday....lets see what the forecast is on Friday. 40 or more, winds under 15Kts, seas under 4 feet along coast would make dragging boats through snow to the car worthwhile. Maybe.

Low tide around noon though.

Maine?? Maine!! The Maine kayakers I know are on a 10 day paddle in Belize for a reason. Of course if you would like to ski on Jewell....

Ed Lawson

Well, there is the Red Hook brewery and pub in Portsmouth. A bit far from the water though.

Water? Its cold..its winter...fish are reported to...nevermind...there are pool sessions with warm water that is unsullied...you have to dress up in all kinds of stuff in winter they say, but if you are crazy and prefer not to play in a bathtub....maybe.

If Jason does not burn you out on Sat....maybe the timid NH woodland creatures would peek out from under the snow on Sunday....lets see what the forecast is on Friday. 40 or more, winds under 15Kts, seas under 4 feet along coast would make dragging boats through snow to the car worthwhile. Maybe.

Low tide around noon though.

Maine?? Maine!! The Maine kayakers I know are on a 10 day paddle in Belize for a reason. Of course if you would like to ski on Jewell....

Ed Lawson

Belize? Paleeeeease!! x-country skiing would be great except theres no snow (how could that be?!) Yes low tide @12 may present a problem So lets separate the paddlers from the dabblers and hit the water. Jason, Graves (any relation to Peter Graves?) sounds like a good plan so far... Bob if your out there, this is your chance. Yes low tide @12 may present a problem Red Hook sounds good for Sunday. Maybe if no paddle we could round folks up for some music and beer and start a tradition. How 'bout just posting trips to our local pubs. Ross

Current forecast is a go for Saturday. Jason has also discussed an innner harbour tour which would be an alternative if conditions get worse. If you want to launch from City Pt (with him) it means ~7-8 nauts round trip by my chart and dividers to Deer Island though we'd likely meet at Calf Island or Great Brewster. Otherwise its ~15 nauts from Deer Island round trip.

Current forecast is a go for Saturday. Jason has also discussed an innner harbour tour which would be an alternative if conditions get worse. If you want to launch from City Pt (with him) it means ~7-8 nauts round trip by my chart and dividers to Deer Island though we'd likely meet at Calf Island or Great Brewster. Otherwise its ~15 nauts from Deer Island round trip.

Yes sounds like a good plan... I'm in. I am very interested in an inner harbor tour also. We can continue to work out the details.

Belize? Paleeeeease!! x-country skiing would be great except theres no snow (how could that be?!) Yes low tide @12 may present a problem So lets separate the paddlers from the dabblers

Hey, Belize is tough, but somebody has to do it. Seriously, they were talking 20NM crossing to get to outer islands where they plan to wander about.

RE: snow. Three feet in my yard, and I use snowshoes to get boats to car. Honest.

Being one who dabbles my paddle in the water, I will await till Friday or Sat to make plans for Sunday.

Ed Lawson

Hey Ross,

Be careful with the Merrimac in the winter. I paddled out of there solo the winter before last. Beautiful day - blue sky but really cold. Ice froze on my drysuit on the side away from the sun.

I left about high and figured on heading back later in the afternoon knowing that it would be just about max coming back. I knew that I might not be able to make it back against the current so my back up plan was to land north of the jetty and carry the boat back to the parking lot. Anyhoo... I headed back, up the mouth, paddling hard, up around the jetty and had my plan to scoot along the jetty in the eddy - tight in - no boat traffic anyway so wouldn't have been a problem. BUT to my astonishment, what was a clear channel on the paddle out was jammed with HUGE icebergs floating down at me FAST. So, the high tide dislodged the ice from the marshes and it was streaming out! Just didn't expect it. I back paddled quickly and floated out with the bergs and landed north of the jetty on the beach and carried my boat a bit further than I wanted to.

Suz

Hey Ross,

Be careful with the Merrimac in the winter. I paddled out of there solo the winter before last. Beautiful day - blue sky but really cold. Ice froze on my drysuit on the side away from the sun.

I left about high and figured on heading back later in the afternoon knowing that it would be just about max coming back. I knew that I might not be able to make it back against the current so my back up plan was to land north of the jetty and carry the boat back to the parking lot. Anyhoo... I headed back, up the mouth, paddling hard, up around the jetty and had my plan to scoot along the jetty in the eddy - tight in - no boat traffic anyway so wouldn't have been a problem. BUT to my astonishment, what was a clear channel on the paddle out was jammed with HUGE icebergs floating down at me FAST. So, the high tide dislodged the ice from the marshes and it was streaming out! Just didn't expect it. I back paddled quickly and floated out with the bergs and landed north of the jetty on the beach and carried my boat a bit further than I wanted to.

Suz

Suz, thanx for the heads up that is indeed very prudent advice. In mid Feb. I ventured out onto the Merrimack on a cold day with two paddling companions. The river and ice was flowing against the tide so the current was moving moderately. We didn’t have trouble making it downstream from our launch in Amesbury to the islands and marshes in Newburyport. The potential for danger became apparent as we would occasionally get stuck between ice sheets flowing down the river. We were at the mercy of the ice as our paddles became almost useless. The real difficulties arose when we headed up stream after the tide changed. We had to paddle against the tide/current and the ice flows. I paddled along the banks and basically was closed in by the ice as the flow increased in volume and speed. The lowering tide funneling the ice into a smaller section of the river. Fortunately I was close to the road so my co-paddlers were able to pick me up. (it did eventually break up). The deck and all lines of the boats were completely frozen over, nothing to grab in case of emergency. Yes one develops a healthy respect for the ice on a river after an experience such as that. A beautiful day though, exciting with numerous eagles and ospreys sightings. Ross

Suz, thanx for the heads up that is indeed very prudent advice. In mid Feb. I ventured out onto the Merrimack on a cold day with two paddling companions. The river and ice was flowing against the tide so the current was moving moderately. We didn’t have trouble making it downstream from our launch in Amesbury to the islands and marshes in Newburyport. The potential for danger became apparent as we would occasionally get stuck between ice sheets flowing down the river. We were at the mercy of the ice as our paddles became almost useless. The real difficulties arose when we headed up stream after the tide changed. We had to paddle against the tide/current and the ice flows. I paddled along the banks and basically was closed in by the ice as the flow increased in volume and speed. The lowering tide funneling the ice into a smaller section of the river. Fortunately I was close to the road so my co-paddlers were able to pick me up. (it did eventually break up). The deck and all lines of the boats were completely frozen over, nothing to grab in case of emergency. Yes one develops a healthy respect for the ice on a river after an experience such as that. A beautiful day though, exciting with numerous eagles and ospreys sightings. Ross

Keeping an eye on the weather. So whose in so far? Bob Jason Ed? If the conditions are not conducive to an open paddle in the harbor I will probably put in on the river. The ice has melted and I am interested in exploring north of Amesbury and maybe spotting/photographing some eagles. Ross

Keeping an eye on the weather. So whose in so far? Bob Jason Ed? If the conditions are not conducive to an open paddle in the harbor I will probably put in on the river. The ice has melted and I am interested in exploring north of Amesbury and maybe spotting/photographing some eagles. Ross

I would still like do the City point to Graves trip, but Sunday looks like the Day to do it. The WX looks better on Sunday to me.

-Jason

I would still like do the City point to Graves trip, but Sunday looks like the Day to do it. The WX looks better on Sunday to me.

-Jason

OK Sunday sounds good. I will still be going out on Saturday for a warm up paddle.

OK Sunday sounds good. I will still be going out on Saturday for a warm up paddle.

I noticed you discussing this trip and thought I should point out that Sunday is the St. Patrick's Day parade in South Boston. That makes it a very inconvenient day to get to City Point with a car and kayak.

For the record, since I live in Southie, I'm usually up for trips that start from City Point, but not on the day of the parade...

I can't do Sunday. The NOAA forecast for Saturday at 4:38PM has slightly higher winds on Sunday with precipitation on Saturday ending by noon. Of course we all know these are forecasts. I also posted the possibility of meeting people from the south at Wild Turkey but noone has responded.

I can't do Sunday. The NOAA forecast for Saturday at 4:38PM has slightly higher winds on Sunday with precipitation on Saturday ending by noon. Of course we all know these are forecasts. I also posted the possibility of meeting people from the south at Wild Turkey but noone has responded.

Hey Bob, If you are looking to head out on Saturday we'll keep communicating and come up with a plan. I am really not set on a specific place, just want to get out of the house. Any interest in paddling the river? Where is Wild Turkey? Jason if you are willing to change to avoid the parade traffic on Sunday we can do something. (Marc thanx for the heads up) Ross

I noticed you discussing this trip and thought I should point out that Sunday is the St. Patrick's Day parade in South Boston. That makes it a very inconvenient day to get to City Point with a car and kayak.

For the record, since I live in Southie, I'm usually up for trips that start from City Point, but not on the day of the parade...

Marc,

City point is a great launch. Thanks for the heads up on the parade, that could have been frustrating. If you need someone to join you on a paddle from City point please drop me an e-mail it's a great after work launch location too.

As for this weekend I would still rather head out Sunday, I am up for any place in Eastern MA that doesn't have a parade this Sunday.

Thanks -Jason

Marc,

City point is a great launch. Thanks for the heads up on the parade, that could have been frustrating. If you need someone to join you on a paddle from City point please drop me an e-mail it's a great after work launch location too.

As for this weekend I would still rather head out Sunday, I am up for any place in Eastern MA that doesn't have a parade this Sunday.

Thanks -Jason

How about one of my favorite places... Manchester by the Sea/Kettle Cove or West Beach (Bob) to Misery and beyond. Good time of the year because there is no problem w/ parking. Usually better at high tide but Im not being picky. Ross

How about one of my favorite places... Manchester by the Sea/Kettle Cove or West Beach (Bob) to Misery and beyond. Good time of the year because there is no problem w/ parking. Usually better at high tide but Im not being picky. Ross

That works for me. Just let me know the time. I am guessing that the putin is ocean St on this map. if this isn't correct please post the correct place.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

Thanks -Jason

For anyone following this thread who was looking to go to the Graves on Saturday as originally proposed this is still on the table, conditions permitting. It would be best to post your interest so you can be informed of last minute developments.

For anyone following this thread who was looking to go to the Graves on Saturday as originally proposed this is still on the table, conditions permitting. It would be best to post your interest so you can be informed of last minute developments.

Bob,

Are you paddling Sunday too? I can't paddle Sat and Sunday (I could be I would have to start sleeping alone) and Sunday still looks to be the day to go.

-Jason

Bob I may join you on Sat. How about posting the departure time/place. Ross

Jason/Ross - Have a great time on Sunday.

Ross, et al - The latest thought for Saturday is the Merrimack, launching from/near a bridge in Haverhill. With low tide at 1PM this more or less lines up with paddling down and up the river with the tide. To you and any others that have been following the thread I realize I have been trying to keep a Graves trip on the map all week and now am changing direction. One of our party is paddling for the first time in months and is rehabbing a shoulder so the forecast and the open water out to the Graves seems like too much. If anyone is interested please post otherwise we'll "play it by ear" on our end.

Jason, lets shoot for a 10:00 butts in boat at the Ocean St. beach.

Bob I will check the posts to see where you decide to go tomorrow. How about launching at the Rock bridge in West Newbury for a paddle down into Amesbury/Newburyport.

Ross