Any interest in paddling Boston harbor Sat 2/9

rossjb1

This past Sundays Graves excursion was bagged and we headed up to paddle in Portsmouth. I am still interested in exploring some of the islands in the harbor. Any ideas/advise/interest?

Ross

If you don't mind the drive, Deer Island is a closer launch to the bulk of the islands. You do need to cross one or two potentially busy channels and watch for high-speed ferries but its generally not a big deal at this time of year. City Point is another launch in the inner harbour, the inner islands include the newly created/opened Spectacle Island. The tides would be on the high side if you were to head as far as the Graves.

As for Saturday, I'd pay attention to the weather that's on the way.

The weekend promises to be relatively wet and unpleasant but the forecast for Saturday has become downright tame. Is there interest in the Harbour islands?

Bob, I am pretty intent on going and I would be quite willing to put up with some mildly inclement weather. If you are interested lets work out the specifics. Since you are more experienced with the harbor I will defer to you. Hows that sound Ross

Bob, I am pretty intent on going and I would be quite willing to put up with some mildly inclement weather. If you are interested lets work out the specifics. Since you are more experienced with the harbor I will defer to you. Hows that sound Ross

hmmmm doesn't look liked there are any takers and its 5:40 on Friday night. I may just head out to Kettle Cove tomorrow for a shoreline paddle. That is if I don't hear from anybody.

I've been waiting for a third to pipe up for the harbour. I wouldn't mind something closer to home. What time were you thinking of launching?

10:00 launch its a great paddle out there we could head down to Misery Island OR we could launch from the beach across from Misery.

The launches I am aware of near Misery are Tuck's Pt and a little landing in Magnolia that is posted "residents only". I've launched there once accompanied by one of the "in crowd". So let's say either Tuck's Pt or provide something like a map so I don't get lost (I'm very good at it).

The launches I am aware of near Misery are Tuck's Pt and a little landing in Magnolia that is posted "residents only". I've launched there once accompanied by one of the "in crowd". So let's say either Tuck's Pt or provide something like a map so I don't get lost (I'm very good at it).

My favorite launch site is in Manchester on Ocean St. just next to Kettle Ocean St. (off of 127). the beach parking is open for anyone in the off season. I have parked there often in the summertime and never been bothered. Its a nice site to access some of the islands nearby. give a call 914-489-2673. Im still up for the harbor if we get anyone else interested.

During the off season, launching at West Beach is another option.

Gay

Where exactly is West Beach?

West Beach is along Rt. 127 in Beverly. I think if you follow Rt. 127 west from Manchester, you'll go right passed it. Mapquest has a good map.

Gay

If you are willing to do West Beach it is closer to me. Bill's link gets you there, there is a wall with a gate at the street and a "pool house" more or less visible from the street. Otherwise I'll be turning right onto Ocean St from 127 at what Yahoo calls "Kettle Cove Village". I'll be shooting for 9:30AM arrival. I'll look for your response. Man'ana.

If you are willing to do West Beach it is closer to me. Bill's link gets you there, there is a wall with a gate at the street and a "pool house" more or less visible from the street. Otherwise I'll be turning right onto Ocean St from 127 at what Yahoo calls "Kettle Cove Village". I'll be shooting for 9:30AM arrival. I'll look for your response. Man'ana.

West Beach sounds good. I have been there before just didn't recognize the name. the wife and I were out for a late dinner so I may be arriving a little later than 9:30 so I can give myself enough time time get ready.