sun block

Guest guest

Guest guest

Says my dermatologist: "There is only one real sunblock sold in the U.S. The rest are fake." www.totalblock.com

This is shockingly expensive...he mentioned that there was one sold in Canada that also was good, but couldn't think of its name at the moment. Anyone know?

Also, has anyone had any experience with any of the sunblocking swimwear? There's the Solumbra water shirt, but I have also been looking at various Aussie rash shirts online.

--b

• 1 month later...

I have not tried the suits, but I have a sunscreen which I like: My dermatologist recommended SolBar (see http://www.coolibar.com/sunscreen-solbar.html) for my persnickety skin cells, and it seems to be keeping them happy. I like the SPF 50 cream. I have been pretty pleased with how well it stays on, and it is noncomedogenic, so you don't feel like you have a layer of wax on. It is not cheap. I have ordered it through the local CVS in the past. A cheaper alternative that I think works fairly well is the Coppertone formulas for babies-in the big pink bottles.

Constance

Bethany,

That comment sounds like a pant-load to me! My dermatologist recommended waterbabies to me as my psoriasis meds make me burn terribly. I use the SPF 45 stick and I've never burned with it on; my skin is almost translucent thanks to the Irish heritage. I have also used Coppertone's OZONE sun block (spf 70 --yes 70--, somewhat goopy and very pricey) with good success.

Sean

Watch out for sunblocks applied by waxy "sticks", like deoderant. I thought they were great for backpacking, since the bottle/tube couldn't leak all over your gear. The first (and last) time I used it, I ended up with zebra stripes of burn/tan/burn/tan all over. My friends thought it was real funny.

The problem with applying sunscreen/block while paddling is that it makes your hands slippery. Sometimes rubbing my hands on my sprayskirt helps, but I generally prefer to cover my skin with a physical barrier. Patagonia (actually their sister company, Watergirl) makes a selection of rash guards in short and long sleeves. I have one, but I haven't paddled in it yet. The material feels the same as what the bathing suits are made out of.

I also like the Coppertone Waterbabies. My stepson is translucent like Sean, and it works very well for him.

I have some stuff in a small stick that I keep in my PFD for when I am on the water and realize that I have forgot to put the sunblock on my face.

-Dee

I wear a Kokatat sun-blocking shirt when I paddle in the summer. The collar is short but stands up to protect my neck. I've never had a hint of sunburn under it. It is made of quick dry nylon so when I am hot I scoop some water with the sleeves to cool off. The evaporative cooling makes it more cooler to be wearing the shirt than bare arms. Wearing the shirt also reduces the amount of sunblock I need to slather on. The sleeves are long enough to cover the top of my hands.

At the Wilderness House show I bought a sun-blocking rash guard shirt by O'Neill, used by wind surfers. We'll see how that works.

Liz N.

I have total block 65 (my ski buddies call it the "ozone layer" sunscreen). It works well, but I don't believe it's waterproof. After putting it on, I have gotten sunburned after doing rolling /rescue practice and not re-applying.

I recently used a sample of a sunscreen from rocky mountain sunscreen. (www.rmsunscreen.com) It it waterproof, non-greasy and doesn't feel heavy. I ordered some and like it so far, but have not as yet put it to the salt water test. Probably this weekend!

Guest guest

Yeah, I've had decent luck with the coppertone sport one (if I reapply it during the day)...it's the only one that hasn't Completely blinded me during the day by seeping into my eyes.

I just got a Coolibar catalog, which looks like the Solumbra stuff but cheaper, too.

--b

Guest guest

I've been using REI brand 45 sunblock for several years and love it. It is waterproof, doesn't run into my eyes, and is the only block I've used that doesn't make my skin break out. I deal with the greasy hands issue by wiping them off with a towel, etc. If I'm out all day and reapply at lunch I'm covered.

I have friends (Karen Knight and Bob Foote) who recommend Ironman brand block and have used it on the Grand Canyon where it is too hot to cover up completely, with terrific results. I've not tried it myself.

Jill

Guest guest

I also have a Kokatat shirt and it works well. However, the fabric has an extreme tendency to attract dirt and soil and hold stains, no matter what cleaning method is used.

Jill

Guest guest

I wear a long sleeve "first layer" in the hot weather and dip/skull as needed when the heat is on. I have never seen sun effects through the garment. In recent years I also need to wear a hat. There's also reflected sun that sneaks underneath to produce rosy cheeks if not properly attended. Links regarding sun screen

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5550.html

http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d001001-d0011...066/d001066.pdf

http://www.egyptvoyager.com/features_dangersofsun_01.htm

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/graduation.htm

According to my cousin who does lots of dermatology, botox, collagen implants and the like, you should look for a sunscreen that has real UVA protection. Those formulas have an ingredient called parsol 1839 (I think that's the number) aka avobenzone. Neutrogena has an excellent product in the greasy and non-greasy forms. It really works. It seems to sting the least of all the brands I've tried.

He also recommends putting on the sunscreen immediately after the morning shower, 30 after you enter the outdoors and halfway through the day for your face.

karen

Guest guest

If you follow the "egypt" link it says UVA protection is for wrinkling of the skin and UVB is for cancer, etc. protection.

Guest guest

I like my supplex shirt and hat.

I use Dr Hauschka's sunscreen for children. Natural base, only metallic sunscreens. Aside from parsol (A.K.A. avobenzone), none of the organic ones work, but the metals (TI and ZN)work great. Most waterproof broad spectrum stuff I've ever found. Not cheap.

I am known to carry Pure Touch hand cleaner, no rinse, alcohol base. Apply sunscreen, use hand cleaner on palms and I'm off paddling.

Perhaps this will help

I've found a method that pretty much stops sunblock from getting into my eyes and stinging them. I have both sensitive eyes and sweat quite a bit, and used to get a lot of stinging eye problems with sunblock. So that this works for me is quite a good sign.

After applying, I take a final swipe with my palm across my forehead to thin out the sunblock applied there. Then the sunblock does not liquify and drizzle down into my eyes as I sweat or immerse.

I don't know if you have to slaver the stuff on to get the best effect, but my guess is that a thinned out layer protects almost as well as a juicy one. I haven't gotten any burns on my forehead. Of course, if you're wearing a hat with a brim, the main problem for the forehead is sunlight reflected off the water, so you probably need less protection there anyway.

BTW, I carry a quarter or half washcloth in my PFD to wipe my hands after applying sunblock. It's come in handy more than once to help someone else on the water with stinging eyes.

--David.

Guest guest

Isn't "titanium white" one of the colors of paint it's important to wash off your skin? Is there any trade off with using the metals in these effective sunscreens?

--frankenbeth (just got more stitches from wacky mole removal...wear your sunscreen or I'll make you look at them!)