Kayak surf schools in warm waters??

ayong

Does anyone know of appealing kayak-surf instruction options in warm weather locations?

An outfit in San Jose, Eskape tours, runs a combo surf camp and whale watching trip in Baja but they don't have enough people to fill their Mar 23-30 week and won't have a session unless they get more interest.

So, if some fellow north atlantic penguin types from around here become interested and call them, it will operate and I'll have a course; or perhaps someone knows of another good option?

Tom Hirschfeld

(Please let me know if this belongs on the commercial board)

Hi Tom,

Ben Lawry and John Carmody run Kayak Camp every January/February down in South Carolina off Hunting Island. Surfing is part of the whole experience, which is pretty wonderful.

While it's probably too late for you, the first session is running now (1/24 - 1/28) and then from 1/31 - 2/4 2008. They are also having a session on Nantucket I believe at the end of May into June. As both Ben and John are pretty avid kayak surfers and Ben is an ACA instructor-trainer in this particular discipline, their teaching and enthusiasm can't be beat.

Deb M

Hi Tom,

Ben Lawry and John Carmody run Kayak Camp every January/February down in South Carolina off Hunting Island. Surfing is part of the whole experience, which is pretty wonderful.

While it's probably too late for you, the first session is running now (1/24 - 1/28) and then from 1/31 - 2/4 2008. They are also having a session on Nantucket I believe at the end of May into June. As both Ben and John are pretty avid kayak surfers and Ben is an ACA instructor-trainer in this particular discipline, their teaching and enthusiasm can't be beat.

Deb M

//

Thanks Deb--it sounds attractive. The timing is off....I'll keep it in mind for this Spring on Nantucket--hope they put up an announcment on our board...

tom

Tom

Last I heard the May Nantucket camp was off, or at least on hold. They couldn't get the accommodations they wanted. This information may be out of date. In fact, it's still on Ben's calendar -- http://www.benlawry.net/calendar.htm -- and so is one there for October.

--David.

David,

I think that they have the accommodations worked out. I will ask John or Ben to reply.

-Jason

David,

I think that they have the accommodations worked out. I will ask John or Ben to reply.

-Jason

David,

I received this e-mail from Ben, he wasn't able to post his reply.

"

David is correct there will be not MA Sea Kayak Camp in May. We will be

holding Sea Kayak Camp in October on Nantucket. It will be offered on a

first come first served basis -- so sign up quickly. If we do not have the

numbers we need we will cancel it 4 weeks out so John and I can adjust our

schedules with folks that want instruction. Unfortunately we had several

people miss the 2nd weekend of the last camp because of the delays in

signing up.

So David please sign up early then you will get your spot saved and make it

that much harder to cancel it due to lack of attendance.

Thanks

Ben

PS Both John and I will be at the Kittery Show if any one would like to chat

about it.

Ben Lawry

www.BenLawry.net

"

Hi All,

We just finished up our 3rd Annual Sea Kayak Camp session on Hunting Island, SC. As usual there was fun to be had, and we all learned a bit.

We will have a Northeast Camp this fall on Nantucket Island from October 3rd to the 6th. Many folks have already expressed interest in a Camp on Nantucket, so we expect this will fill quickly. If you are interested, contact kayakcamp@earthlink.net.

I think Jason has some photos of the most recent Camp if folks are interested.

Thanks.

John

www.seacliffkayakers.com

Hi All,

We just finished up our 3rd Annual Sea Kayak Camp session on Hunting Island, SC. As usual there was fun to be had, and we all learned a bit.

We will have a Northeast Camp this fall on Nantucket Island from October 3rd to the 6th. Many folks have already expressed interest in a Camp on Nantucket, so we expect this will fill quickly. If you are interested, contact kayakcamp@earthlink.net.

I think Jason has some photos of the most recent Camp if folks are interested.

Thanks.

John

www.seacliffkayakers.com

As John said it was another great year at kayak Camp. I expect that we will post a trip report soon for now this is a link to the pictures:

http://www.kates.org/t/Q

This has been my 2nd year in a row going to kayak camp. Each year I can't get over how much John and Ben teach us in 4 days. Every year is different and 100% enjoyable.

-Jason