Kids, don't try this at home!

No, but I did lay over on the ice, in a futile effort to turn the boat. There was so much ice around me that I doubt that I could have capsized if I tried. The situation was actually more frustrating than dangerous.

Michael did do one roll out on open water, while he and the others were trying to concoct a rescue. He reports that his new Oneils Coldwater hood is quite watertight.

Hi, Deb:

Same thing happened to me. Did you get a funny little substitute picture icon? If so, right-click on it, and you may get an option that will bring up the real image. Not to be missed!

Brian, did you guys consider getting a tow line on you from someone outside the ice?

--David.

Backing out really wasn't an option. On the way in, I got turned more or less parallel to the edge of the ice by the waves (an "ice broach"?). When I tried to back up, I couldn't see what I was hitting, which made it more difficult than going forward. It was also easier to pull myself forward with my hands than to push backward.

Well, they were working on that when Michael went for a quick dip. ;-)

I think a tow would have been useful, as long as I could have attached it far enough forward that it would have pulled the bow around. That was the biggest problem when I was in the ice; I couldn't turn the boat. Once I managed to get the bow pointed in the right direction, it was just a matter of grunt work to get out. Perhaps a boat with a more rounded hull would have been easier to maneuver, but the real issue seemed to be the long, narrow shape of the kayak.

I honestly didn't think we could reach you with a tow line, without someone paddling in with you. Unless they had something longer than 50'. And even if you hadn't been turned by the waves, there was nothing to be gained by trying to back out as the wind and waves had quickly packed in the ice behind you.

If you had become really stuck it would have gotten interesting. You might have been able to come out of the boat and slither over the big pans back to open water, with the boat attached to you, then pull it out behind you. That would not have been fun.

The following link will take you to a very interesting product.

Makes sense to carry a pair of these in your day hatch.

Let me know if anyone is interested in a group buy.

I'm sure the price would be less than $15.00/pair.

Richard

Living to learn.

Romany White, Blue trim

Richard,

I've made the same thing quite easily. Take two dowels and cut them to a bit larger than your hands' size. Pre-drill then drive in one 2" stainless screw in the bottom of each dowel, leaving about a 1/4 to 1/2" sticking out. Use a dremel tool or hacksaw to cut the screw heads off. Viola! You could easily use cord to connect them, but I like them by themselves.

Guest guest

When I lived in Sweden, where ice forms on the brackish in-shore waters every winter, there is a public and relentless education campaign every year to wear these pick devices when on the ice. Think of a sort of a PFD for ice: never lauch onto ice (walking) without your picks.

The main use is to pull yourself out of the water if you fall through the ice. Apparently it is almost impossible to do without something to dig into the ice.

People wore them on the cord around the neck with the picks clipped to the collar of the jacket.

Scott