Pierce Island Paddle 1-13-08

Bill H

Thanks to all who paddled Sunday, the weather was great and meeting new paddling friends is what it is all about.

I sent out some pictures out on to Shutterfly to some of the people I paddled with with a note to foward them to the others.

Bill Harter

Thanks to all who paddled Sunday, the weather was great and meeting new paddling friends is what it is all about.

I sent out some pictures out on to Shutterfly to some of the people I paddled with with a note to foward them to the others.

Bill Harter

Let's try this again: Sunday's paddle was invigorating and a great pleasure. Ten of us left Pierce Island and found our way into Little Harbor. We ventured out past the jettys and around Jaffrey Point and up to the Coast Guard station where we crossed the mouth of the river over to Gerrish Island. We then followed the coast to Ft. Foster where we took a break for a stretch and a snack, then continued up the coast along Gerrish to roll along with the swells. The sun was shinning and there was no wind, two large tankers were anchored not too far away, and it was peaceful. Turning around to head back into the harbor we found some great swells to ride on. As we approached the mouth of the river of the Piscatequa, a Navy vessel watched us carefully and we gave her a lot of room. The tide was coming in and we absolutely few up the channel with a max speed of 5.7K! Two tugs going out to fetch the tankers provided some neat wake. Four hours later, and a total of nine nautical miles paddled, found some happy if not rather well-exercised paddlers loading gear back into and onto cars. Then . . . off to Red Hook for a brew and burger . . . what a great day!

Thanks for posting the trip, Bill. It was a great day to be out on the water. Thanks to everyone who paddled. It was nice to meet more new people.

I don't recall flying up the channel myself at the end, although Gail and Ed sure did! I think they had enough energy for another trip.

Gay

I don't recall flying up the channel myself at the end, although Gail and Ed sure did! I think they had enough energy for another trip.

Gay

As I recall when we finally dragged in putting up a brave front, everyone else had their boats on the cars and were standing about waiting for those old fools to show up. Fortunately, we recovered enough to shovel all the nice new snow that arrived the next day.

It was a nice day with nice people.

Ed Lawson