Paging John Huth/Don Perry

Adam Bolonsky

Research from an article I'm writing on the sinking of and loss of life on the Lady of Grace keeps leading back me to the JAWS computer drift model the CG uses in SAR operations.

Google search doesn't turn up much. :headBang:

Have you got a resource I can turn to?

I'm not sure what the acronym stands for, nor can I find info on the model's history, development, or personnel.

I'd appreciate any leads you, John, or Don Perry could provide. :notWorthy:

Thanks in advance, guys. :computerFight:

Research from an article I'm writing on the sinking of and loss of life on the Lady of Grace keeps leading back me to the JAWS computer drift model the CG uses in SAR operations.

I'm not sure what the acronym stands for, nor can I find info on the model's history, development, or personnel.

Whatcha got so far? I have some friends who might be able to help. You'll have to let me check a bit.

...Google search doesn't turn up much.

...I'm not sure what the acronym stands for, nor can I find info on the model's history, development, or personnel.

JAWS stands for "Joint Automated Work Station" -- it's being replaced by SAROPS, which is "Search and Rescue Optimal Planning System". Try http://tinyurl.com/33nufp. But if you specifically want JAWS, try searching "drift model" with "coast guard" -- http://tinyurl.com/2798re -- since it looks like the terms JAWS is often not used.

--David.

Whatcha got so far? I have some friends who might be able to help. You'll have to let me check a bit.

Hi John,

all I get through Google are cached Coast Guard documents that contain the acronym JAWS, but so casually that I still can't make sense of what JAWS is.

Looking forward to anything you can come up with through friends.

In what regards are you looking or researching for when you get JAWS. Are you sure it is an acronym?

I used to teach SAR for the military and have worked witht the Coast Guard from Vancouver BC to San Diego and some in FLA.

If you give me some specifics of the research you are looking for when you get JAWS I might be able to help.

Here are some military acronyms for JAWS:

JAWS Jamming And Warning System

JAWS JMEM/Air-To-Surface Weaponeering System

JAWS Joint Advanced Warfighting School (Norfolk, Virginia)

JAWS Joint Air Weapons SystemJAWSJoint Airport Weather Studies

JAWS Joint All Weather System

JAWS Joint Analytic Warfare Systems

JAWS Joint Analytic Worldwide System

JAWS Joint Anti-Armor Weapon System

JAWS Joint Attack Weapons System

JAWS Joint Automated Worksheets

JAWS Judge Advocate Warfighting System

In what regards are you looking or researching for when you get JAWS. Are you sure it is an acronym?

I used to teach SAR for the military and have worked witht the Coast Guard from Vancouver BC to San Diego and some in FLA.

If you give me some specifics of the research you are looking for when you get JAWS I might be able to help.

Hi SpitDawg;

I came across the same list of acronyms. I see JAWS in a SAR context when I google "SAROPS replaces JAWS."

But what initially set me off on the search was a CG map image I came across that shows the numerous cross-hatch search patterns the CG ran east, north, northeast and southeast of Nantucket while in search of the New Bedford scallop boat Lady of Grace which sank with loss of life off Nantucket last year.

One of the images is labeled clearly with the notation "JAWS search." I also see "JAWS search" in conjunction with Coast Guard (Navy?) drills that involve a PIW, which I assume is either an SAR trainee or SAR training petty officer (?).

I assume JAWS is a multi-resource driven computer drift model. But what I'm most interested in is how JAWS got developed (and where), how it works, and what resources it draws upon.

Apparently SAROPS use many more live retrievable internet data than JAWS, but that's the only difference I've been able to come up with so far.

I'd ask the PA officer here in Boston, but I've rung up those guys too often of late and don't want to pester them....

Adam,

The USCG has standardized computer desktop Jaws/sarops is referring to the client desktop. SAROPS the automated method digitizes and take the sometimes cumbersome math models that SAR planners/mappers have to evaluate. Every coxswain in the auxiliary or active service has training SAR calculation and charting. In SAR (in the confinese of a nice warm dry room) we evaluate: Current, Wind, Fetch, draft, weight, windage, tide, time to present an optimal model. Underway the down and dirty is do you present like a sailboat, PIW, motor boat to help us chose a search method. The coxswain calculates either expanding square or sector search patterns (assuming in the ocean) and runs in while they wait on the sector sar coordinator to provide a more detailed search method.

Your results may vary and conditions will warrant adjustments. Have you contacted sta Gloucester operations officer or the local auxilary flotilla for a show and tell?

http://www.auxtdept.org/auxop/AUXSAR.htm

http://nws.cgaux.org/flotillafinder/index.html#1

Adam,

The USCG has standardized computer desktop Jaws/sarops is referring to the client desktop. SAROPS the automated method digitizes and take the sometimes cumbersome math models that SAR planners/mappers have to evaluate. Every coxswain in the auxiliary or active service has training SAR calculation and charting. In SAR (in the confinese of a nice warm dry room) we evaluate: Current, Wind, Fetch, draft, weight, windage, tide, time to present an optimal model. Underway the down and dirty is do you present like a sailboat, PIW, motor boat to help us chose a search method. The coxswain calculates either expanding square or sector search patterns (assuming in the ocean) and runs in while they wait on the sector sar coordinator to provide a more detailed search method.

Your results may vary and conditions will warrant adjustments. Have you contacted sta Gloucester operations officer or the local auxilary flotilla for a show and tell?

http://www.auxtdept.org/auxop/AUXSAR.htm

http://nws.cgaux.org/flotillafinder/index.html#1

Thanks for all the terrific info, Rick. Next time I'm at Harbor Loop I'll see if I can get a show and tell from station Gloucester. Never thought of the local auxillary.

Nice to hear all of this from one who knows!

One last question: I assume PIW means "person in water"?

Adam