Surf skiers perspectives

Adam Bolonsky

Anyone surfski?

Most of the research I've done reveals that surf skiers' notions of safety are far different than those of sea kayakers.

To wit: in South Africa, the use of cellphones for SAR calls is actively promoted, as is running fast downwind in the largest waves and highest winds possible. There's also an active racing series with lots of sponsorship and prize money.

From what I can see, there's not a lot of published protocols on solo and group surfski rescues, which seems odd, given how often surfskiers venture into condtions that would pin many sea kayakers to the beach.

And yet they do so in boats so much more tender and athletically demanding than sea kayaks.

Thanks,

Adam

paddlingtravelers.blogspot.com

Seems I was just reading something to that effect, but can't quite remember if it was the racing boat style boats or the surf ski.

Either way it was a case where the wind blew them over and and one fellow was able to get back onto his boat.. the other not so fortunate and was found floating face down in the water. I think he had a dry suit, pfd etc..I'll have to search around for the article....

Adam

Call me at 206-321-0011 and I'll hook you up with my buddy Don Kiesling, Tsunami Ranger, surf ski designer, national Surf Ski Champ and all around great guy who's here in Seattle.

BB

Anyone surfski?

Most of the research I've done reveals that surf skiers' notions of safety are far different than those of sea kayakers.

To wit: in South Africa, the use of cellphones for SAR calls is actively promoted, as is running fast downwind in the largest waves and highest winds possible. There's also an active racing series with lots of sponsorship and prize money.

From what I can see, there's not a lot of published protocols on solo and group surfski rescues, which seems odd, given how often surfskiers venture into condtions that would pin many sea kayakers to the beach.

And yet they do so in boats so much more tender and athletically demanding than sea kayaks.

Thanks,

Adam

paddlingtravelers.blogspot.com

QUOTE(B @ Dec 18 2007, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Adam

Call me at 206-321-0011 and I'll hook you up with my buddy Don Kiesling, Tsunami Ranger, surf ski designer, national Surf Ski Champ and all around great guy who's here in Seattle.

BB

Thanks, Bob. Will do. It's nice to see that you're with nspn again, if only virtually!! :drinkinBuddies:

Adam,

You could say the same about wind surfing. They go where most sea kayakers wouldn't dare.

Yes and no. By the time you have learned to sail in strong winds and waves, you have been forced to learn to get back on the board in those conditions. Stronger winds actually make it easier to remount (waterstart). You also have a board which has much more floatation than a filled kayak, and is much more stable - low and flat. If you are really in a life-threatening situation you can ditch the rig and paddle the board in - something you can't do with a kayak full of water.

I figure if I'm conscious, I can always grab the board and get home somehow, even if at the price of an expensive rig. Most of my sailing friends and I therefore don't wear PFDs, but we do wear helmets when the wind gets up.

Tim