Which VHF radio?

Tom Tieman

Pencil erasers contain mild abrasives that are commonly used to clean contacts. What many are unaware of is that pencil erasers also contain sulfites and other chemicals that hasten oxidation of the contacts after they have been cleaned. Contacts should be cleaned with alcohol or another solvent that leaves no traces behind (and does not attack metals) after using the eraser.

:thinking:

Then promptly go swimming in your nearest body of water with the radio.. :rubberring:

ICOM M88 vs. M72

Well, my mum charged me with coming up with a gift that she could give to my brother for Christmas. He and I often sea kayak together, and I knew he both wanted and needed a VHF radio.

I selected the M72, which just arrived yesterday. I have to admit that I had it sent directly to me so I could compare it to my M88. :blush:

Well, I am a bit jealous. After using the M88 for 3+ years I have to admit that after a short demo I prefer the M72.

Why?

• At a quick glance the M72 appears larger, but overall it is shorter than the M88.

• The M72 fits in my palm more comfortably than the stubby M88.

• The M72 definitely has larger buttons and I feel they are better laid-out from an ergonomic standpoint. The six buttons on the M88 are kind of tightly packed together making them harder to discern by touch with gloves on.

• My hearing is not what is once was, and I noted that the default button tone on the M72 is considerably louder than the M88, which would make it a bit easier to hear on a windy/lumpy day.

• The M72 displays the channel name under each channel number, which is really neat! (i.e. 68 - SHIP TO SHIP)

There was one thing about the M88 that I did prefer. It comes standard with ICOM’s swivel belt clip (MB-86) and I use that to mount the radio to my pfd ala’ Brian Nystrom's instructions.

The M72 on the other hand only comes with the non-swivel clip (MB-103), which I do not feel makes for an easy removable pfd shoulder strap attachment. Of course if you bag your VHF or put it in a pocket it doesn’t matter. The swivel clip is also available as a separate purchase from ICOM, but I believe someone told me they want over $20 for it.

Needless to say, if my M88 gives of the ghost in the near future I will be replacing it with the M72.