Valley kayak skeg 'slap'

tvcrider

Has anyone come up with an effective way to eliminate skeg 'slap' on Valley boats? It's the noise the skeg makes as it bounces from one side of the skeg box to the other. I do not seem to have the problem on my composite Valley boat that others have reported, but it is really annoying on my Avocet RM. It doesn't matter if the skeg is deployed or not.

I best idea I could come up with is to place some 2" self-adhesive velcro tape (just the loop facing) on either side of the skeg box, about half way back.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Go to any hardware store and pick up the small felt pads (self adhesive) that can be glued to the bottom of chair legs. Glue two pads, one on each side of the skeg, about half way back and that will take care of the problem.

Dan

Go to any hardware store and pick up the small felt pads (self adhesive) that can be glued to the bottom of chair legs. Glue two pads, one on each side of the skeg, about half way back and that will take care of the problem.

Dan

My boat has what looks like two 1" wide strips of the soft side of velcro attached to the inside of the skeg box. One installed on each side.

-Jason

I have three Valley boats; but have never encountered this problem...

Hi Christopher,

I hadn’t seen the problem either until I picked up the Avocet RM.

Apparently I am not the only one who has encountered this issue.

See the following unsolicited comments from p.net (the topic in question was Tempest 165 vs. Avocet).

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread...d=755924#755973

Again, I can't say I've noticed it on my Aquanaut LV (composite).

Joe, thanks for the fast package! Delighted am I...

Christopher,

Very good!

It is always a pleasure doing business with you.

For those of you that are trying to follow this exchange, I just sold a

Lendal crank shaft to Sir Godfrey.