Underwater photography

Guest guest

I'm assuming someone has tried taking pictures while inverted with their waterproof camera. Seems like you could get great shots of seals that way. The case I have has what amounts to a carrying strap for around the neck, etc. which is an obvious entaglement hazard. If anyone has come up with a better method of camera management than leaving it to float, rolling it up, and retrieving it I'd be interested.

Bob,

As a professional nature photographer, I can't think of much of a worse way to take a picture than how you describe! When you want to take an underwater shot, you don't want to be in your hull which is bobbing around on the surface; even with a flash you don’t have a hope of taking a sharp picture. Even if the water is calm, can you hold your breath long enough to calm yourself, compose the shot (ie find a seal) and shoot? Also, the action of inverting your kayak is likely enough to drive the seals away.

If you spot a seal that seems interested in you, exit the boat as quietly as possible, let the animal get used to your presence, submerge under water, compose and shoot. I would only want to attempt this in the presence of another paddler who could hold my boat.

Bob,

I actually did take some shots from my inverted kayak out in Boston Harbor. I wasn't doing any seal shooting, but there were some really colorful starfish and rock formations that I could get.

I use a Cannon Elf Sport which I keep in the pocket of my PFD so it doesn't float away. Taking shots this way is not ideal as the rolling action tends to disturb the water, the boat does move around a bit, and you don't have a lot of time to orient yourself and then compose a shot. It can be done though. I got some OK pictures, but I'm pretty sure I could have gotten better shots by just getting out of the boat.

I have considered somewhat the time to compose the picture. I can, for instance, stay inverted long enough to paddle most of the length of a pool and still roll up. I also expect that water temperature, headache, etc. will perhaps be a dominating factor.

I hadn't considered the effects of rolling on shallow water but I'd generally take such "tide pool" shots from outside the boat. It's also possible to break the surface of the water with the camera while leaning over the edge of the boat. Finally, a use for that paddle float!

The origin of the thought is the irresistible curiousity of the seals with respect to kayaks. Many of us have paddled backwards to watch them surface behind the retreating craft and in front of the paddler. While paddling amongst the pods(?) they frequently swim under and around the boats, usually under the surface, and sometimes can be felt as they pass by. I'd consider inverting behind oncoming reverse paddlers, in the midst of stationary paddlers, or when they are swimming about.

Nothing ventured...