Fishing Kayaks

codfsh2

I don't fish personally but know several who do. One thing I've noticed is that people fish from their kayaks rather get a kayak to fish from. It would also bear some consideration of the nature of your fishing.

Some sprint about chasing the various signs of feeding; birds in the air, fish spray. Sprinting will be easier with a longer and lighter boat.

Some land their fish on the water. Doing so is easier with a boat with primary stability and/or a good sense of balance, loose hips, etc. Also consider if you plan to land something like bluefish that you essentially need to kill rather than have them bite you.

Others haul their catch about by boat until they tire, then head to shore especially when they've hooked a big one.

Some fish from hand lines, obviously cheaper, and rig their boats to their personal tastes. Others fish with poles wherein you need to consider where you park the rod.

If you have excess catch in the Salem Sound area I'd be happy to provide directions to my house.

What do you need to spend for a decent fishing kayak

Which brand is best for the money and will provide a good ride and fishing platform

Sea kayaks are not well suited for fishing. If fishing is your main focus, Hobie makes a kayak specifically designed for fishing. It has a place for a pole, a place to land and keep fish and other features. New England Small Craft carries them. I have no interest in Hobie so this is not a commercial add, but I have seen these and they look pretty good. They are always advertised in Paddler Magazine too.

I've caught blues and stripers in two boats - both are Wilderness Systems. One is the Pamlico, and the other is a Tempest 170. Pamlico = open tandem, Tempest = sea kayak.

The Pamlico is a bit easier, because it's easier to move stuff around, and mess around once you've caught it - but it's not suited for higher seas.

I fly fish, but I suppose you can do other kinds of fishing. I typically do a combination of trolling and casting. Trolling takes a bit of imagination, but can be done - I cast in a good direction (depends on the wind and other factors) - in the Pamlico, that's open, I loop the line around my toe and lean the rod on my shoulder. When I feel a tug, I put down the paddle, and pick up the rod, and work the line. I have to periodically clear it from seaweed. (a clouser pattern is good for this)

If I find feeding signs, I cast to the region.

In the Tempest, which is a bona fide sea kayak, I cast and then stow the back of the rod in the bungees, and leave a little loop of line loose through the bungees to see when a fish hits - then pull up the rod and work it.

Fishing isn't the normal thing I do when kayaking, but even this summer, I've caught a decent number of stripers in both kayaks.

Sea kayaks are not well suited for fishing. If fishing is your main focus, Hobie makes a kayak specifically designed for fishing. It has a place for a pole, a place to land and keep fish and other features. New England Small Craft carries them. I have no interest in Hobie so this is not a commercial add, but I have seen these and they look pretty good. They are always advertised in Paddler Magazine too.

If you can really handle a sea kayak and know how to fish you can fish from almost any sea kayak. Just watch someone like Adam or myself haul in blues, stripers, etc. Two years ago I fought an eight foot Tarpon to a draw near Key West, in a 18 foot by 21 inch performance sea kayak.