Manchester Paddle Sat 10/27

rossjb1

Paddle rocky shoreline outside of Manchester down to Misery Island. There are beautiful rocky cliffs and a few small islands to explore along the way. There are a couple of spots to play around in the rocks so bring helmets. Meet at Kettle cove beach parking and be on water at 10:00 High tide is at 12:00. Ross (my first post)

Paddle rocky shoreline outside of Manchester down to Misery Island. There are beautiful rocky cliffs and a few small islands to explore along the way. There are a couple of spots to play around in the rocks so bring helmets. Meet at Kettle cove beach parking and be on water at 10:00 High tide is at 12:00. Ross (my first post)

Ross,

Might be there, but it will be later. I have to go into the office Sat. morning :headBang:

Looks like up to 20mph winds with seas to 6' and potentially higher. Unless this changes, I'll be looking for more protected waters.

Doug,

Often the forecast off shore is much different than near shore. The NOAA forecasts are for 25 nm out. I've been fooled enough to always make my paddle/no paddle decision at the beach (obviously, much more difficult decision to make if you live far away from the beach ;)

...NOAA forecasts...decision at the beach...

At the risk of hijacking the thread, the forecasts are indeed forecasts and can be flat wrong. Last weekend we went out on a day forecast to be borderline unpleasant and encountered little more than a stiff breeze. That said, you need to read and respect the forecast, especially more so as you venture out away from the beach. Many launch sites are protected from what is happening out on the water and aside from affording one a view of the surf and perhaps the higher trees are not going to reflect on-the-water conditions. I listen to the forecast on game day on my weatherband radio, that synthetic female voice is soooooooo sexy.

Looks like up to 20mph winds with seas to 6' and potentially higher. Unless this changes, I'll be looking for more protected waters.

To augment the other responses, it is often useful to review buoy info, web cams, and historical data on wind direction. This often will give you a basis for making a SWAG on whether the waves forecast will be swells/wind waves coming on shore, whether the wind has been building or reducing swells/wind waves, and whether the waves being reported are wind waves as opposed to swells. Also it is not uncommon for the forecast to change dramatically in overnight. Regardless the forecast may be valid and correct in that it will describe observed conditions somewhere within the forecast area, but totally inaccurate with regard to the conditions on the little patch of ocean you paddle upon.

All part of what makes sea kayaking an interesting activity on many levels.

On general rule is that conditions tend to be underestimated while on shore preparing to launch and over estimated while on the water.

Ed Lawson

Ross,

I'm hoping to make it down there tomorrow.

I checked the marine forecast and the Wetsands surf site, which predicted 5' swells from the SE tomorrow. That could be dicey along a rocky shore. If it looks too nasty, we might think about Good Harbor Beach for surfing on a sandy shore, or look for someplace more sheltered.

Ross,

I'm hoping to make it down there tomorrow.

I checked the marine forecast and the Wetsands surf site, which predicted 5' swells from the SE tomorrow. That could be dicey along a rocky shore. If it looks too nasty, we might think about Good Harbor Beach for surfing on a sandy shore, or look for someplace more sheltered.

Sounds good I plan on being there tomorrow. We can make alternate plans if necessary. Perhaps even surfing on Singing beach or Kettle Cove. In regards to the earlier strands it is wise to check the forecast but it seems to me that we should wait until the day before the trip for a more accurate assessment of the weather. Of course it is important to watch for the conditions, but as we know these things can change on a daily basis. I'd hate to see some trips nixed too early. Just my humble opinion. Thanks for everyones input, just goes to show that as a group we have a wealth of knowledge as well as some very wise and seasoned paddlers who are watching out for each other. Hopefully we'll be able to get out there for a good paddle tomorrow.