Face-up paddle float rescue

Bolonsky Adam

I would not recommend this method of self rescue.

I have seen this attempted at a practice session, and looking at these pictures, one can see that it requires the arm to be fully extended while bearing weight, which puts the shoulder joint in a vulnerable position, generally not recommended for any motion common to sea kayaking.

Compounding this issue: As the paddle float re entry is most likely be used by paddlers new to the sport (with more experience paddlers usually graduate to the cowboy re-entry, re -entry and roll, and paddle float re -entry and roll), at this early phase of ones paddling career it is critical to be working safe shoulder position (elbows never far from the torso, arms not high and extended etc) into ones muscle memory, and this method would seem to run counter to that.

I would not recommend this method of self rescue.

I have seen this attempted at a practice session, and looking at these pictures, one can see that it requires the arm to be fully extended while bearing weight, which puts the shoulder joint in a vulnerable position, generally not recommended for any motion common to sea kayaking.

Compounding this issue: As the paddle float re entry is most likely be used by paddlers new to the sport (with more experience paddlers usually graduate to the cowboy re-entry, re -entry and roll, and paddle float re -entry and roll), at this early phase of ones paddling career it is critical to be working safe shoulder position (elbows never far from the torso, arms not high and extended etc) into ones muscle memory, and this method would seem to run counter to that.

Well, I tried it four or five times on the local pond, and while it felt awkward, I didn't feel much pain or strain, but I was being extra careful, having seen guys dislocate shoulders on beach landings.

I found that most of my weight was borne by my shoulder blade, upper back, lats and finally my ribs. Not comfortable but faster than the face-down method.

Give it a shot, too, Peter. I'd be curious what your true test reaction is.

Short view (mine at least) is sports don't evolve if we don't experiment open-minded....