Pool Sessions - where is everybody?

Michael_Crouse

We are running (roughly) the same number of pool sessions this year that we did last year, but no one is signing up, what's going on?

Chinatown wasn't full on Saturday night, Danvers and Reading still have spots open, are we interested in pool sessions anymore?

I'm asking because if the pool sessions don't sell we will offer fewer pool sessions next year.

Spotters will be at Reading and Danvers to lend a hand, now all we need are some people who want to play.

Speaking for myself Mike, it's been too *@ cold to go outside, let alone tie a boat onto the car. I even broke down and bought an artic parka this year...

Perhaps the weather is a component of the turnout this year?

_Shane

"Would a knife help protect you against a ‘curious’ shark? I don’t know but I would like the option." - Trevor Gardner

Hi, Mike: I attended the first two pool sessions in Chinatown and here is my two cents on some possible issues. The first session was great, with a nice ratio of spotters to boats and not too many boats in the pool. The second session was frankly crowded and there were only 1-2 spotters. I heard comments from others that there should be a (lower) limit on the number of boats per session, to ensure everyone has a chance to take full advantage of the pool time. And I think the low ratio of spotters to boats impacted how much some folks could get out of the session.

So, two suggestions related to the above would be 1) setting a limit on number of participants that is commensurate with pool size (not sure how this is done now, but the number may be too high?) and 2) incentivizing the participation of more spotters. Two ways to incentivize spotters would be to either a) let them bring their boats and coach/spot from the boats where practical but also letting them get some play time, or B) trade future pool time (play time) for a spotting session.

My guess is that at least half of those going to pool sessions are looking for some help in learning new skills, versus those who just want to get wet or practice what they already know. If this is true, then the success of the pool sessions very much depends on a good spotter/coach to paddler ratio.

Lastly, I suspect that last Sat. attendance in Chinatown was negatively impacted by the general meeting held the same day and the fact that Sing was out of town for the day and was questionable to be back in time for the pool session.

Mark Stephens

For me time and distance have been an issue. I have wanted to take advantage of the Danvers sessions but tying up an entire evening for paddling after I've been out paddling all afternoon is testing the limits of familial harmony. I try to get out every weekend afternoon even if only for an hour, so trying to do 2 paddling activities in the same weekend is risking spousal abuse.

I’d suggest a mechanism for last minute decision makers/arrivals. As it is now you have to commit and pay days in advance. That’s ok but it doesn’t help fill open slots at the pool. If someone shows up without a paid reservation and there’s not enough room then that’s their problem. If a reserved slot is vacant fifteen minutes after the start time then refund the money if you can sell it to someone else. Just reading the registration requirements for an NSPN pool session is a deterrent. There’s no shortage of kayakers.

At the MVP Billerica pool sessions you just show up, pay ten bucks and get in the pool. It maxed at 25 on the first night and there have been about 15 each Monday night since then.

>...If a reserved slot is vacant fifteen minutes after

>the start time then refund the money if you can sell it to

>someone else.

It was the policy last year to refund the payment for unused slots if they got refilled. It happened maybe once or twice all year, and there were maybe one or two "swaps" where money changed hands directly between kayakers. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the refund option has been removed this year -- once you've paid, the money's gone no matter what happens.

I realize that the record-keeping and communication needed to support the refund policy hardly seem worth it for that frequency and money, especialy considering that you can still swap (I assume). But a "no refunds, ever" policy can be perceived as inflexible, and coupled with the price increase, might be keeping people away.

Plus, I believe we ~do~ have more sessions this year. Last year it was roughly one session a week alternating between two pools. This year there are three pools and more than one session many weeks. Since last year's demand and supply were almost perfectly balanced (I know, because I was registrar for both pools), perhaps we have overreached a bit this year.

--David.

>I’d suggest a mechanism for last minute decision

>makers/arrivals. As it is now you have to commit and pay

>days in advance. That’s ok but it doesn’t help fill open

>slots at the pool. If someone shows up without a paid

>reservation and there’s not enough room then that’s their

>problem.

If anyone want to "show & pool" just double check that their are spots open (talk to the person regisering the pool session) , and bring a check or cash with you. I would hate for 5 people to show up with boats and only let two in, of course if extra people show up they could always wind up spotting.

Might be a simple notice thing -- I was thinking about going to the Reading session on Sunday, but I'm not quite sure where the pool is located. So I went to the Feb calendar figuring it would be posted -- guess what, only Chinatown sessions show up -- nothing for either Danvers or Reading. So first impression is that there are none occuring.

Then I started looking in other spots: Learn & Play -- good description of the purpose and organization of pool sessions, but no directions, contact points or times (that I found). Hmmm

Began to get a bit worried, but relaxed because I knew I had seen the location info in the put-ins list. Couldn't find the list on the site.

Finally trolled the message board and found a notice for the sessions. Thanks for the posting Karen...now I know when, but still no directions. That's okay -- next stop is Mapquest.

So -- many of us may know about pool sessions, but confirming the knowledge or having newer members find out about them seems to be a bit of a challenge.

Getting the session on the calendar would be a good first step.

Keith