looking for thin paddling gloves

PeterB

Can anyone recommend a pair of thin paddling gloves with maximum manual dexterity. I’m not looking for warmth, just skin protection for rock gardening.

I'm looking only for full (not fingerless) gloves.

Thanks,

Peter

I picked up a pair of kevlar gloves on e-bay. They may work for you, I don't like paddling with gloves so I can't say the way to go but they might be.

Gloves on e-bay

-Jason

Can anyone recommend a pair of thin paddling gloves with maximum manual dexterity. I’m not looking for warmth, just skin protection for rock gardening.

I'm looking only for full (not fingerless) gloves.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter,

You need to practice the "look Ma, no hands"...

seriously, rarely should your hand come off the paddle but if it does, don't touch the rocks:)

The gloves that Bill pointed out I used to use all winter long with a pogie on top so I wouldn't say they wouldn't be warm. I do think it would be worth a try to use fingerless gloves because if you did need to use your hand to push off, you should be focusing on using your palm rather than fingers. Usually when people have gone over in the rocks, they scrape the palm of their hands up.

Suz

I just picked up a pair of bicycle gloves, synthetic leather palms and light breathable body, at REI on sale in a bin for $14 half hand, $19 full coverage. The last time I tried a circumnavigation of MV and Nantucket I got blisters between my calluses. This weekend I'm wearing gloves.

My first pair of paddling gloves was a pair of iron clad work gloves. They offer excellent protection and dexterity and can be purchased most anywhere. They held up well for more than a season until I got my first pair of warmers. I would also mention that you do need to take your hand off the paddle to, for instance, haul out on a rocky place that is likely to have barnacles.

These NRS Hydroskins are my favorites, too. CRCK somehow has a few pair for only $15! Weird. I have an extra pair if you want to try them next Tuesday. Sometimes their seams will split, wherein NRS will replace with new immediately.

Great glove for a not too slippery shaft, like the Werner carbon. I find that the Epic shaft and these gloves ARE too slippery, so some tape may be in order.

Ern

PS CRCK had NO noseclips in stock to replace my carbon one you snapped! oy....

I would also mention that you do need to take your hand off the paddle to, for instance, haul out on a rocky place that is likely to have barnacles.

Anyone at the Downeast Symposium knows about Peter and barnacles. And, I surmise, the reason behind his query about gloves.

I also use bicycling gloves when practicing; nice and comfortable and cheap.

Brian