Waterproof Cameras

Shaila_27

I have an Optio Pentax. It has surprisingly good optics for the small size. It fits into the pocket of a PFD, and I've gotten quite wet, and it works like a champ.

I've also used it for extensive "land" photography - e.g. backpacking trips, and it works great there, too.

Of course, the optics isn't as good as super-high end models, but for lightness, waterproof-ness and good optics at a reasonable price, I'm pretty happy.

Shaila-

I've got a waterproof case for my camera, but I think John hit the nail on the head with his comment on "small size". Even though my camera/case is much more waterproof than the Optio, I often just leave it in the hatch because of its bulk.

Phil

Could anyone suggest a good waterproof camera? Also, do you use the camera for everyday pictures or just for in/near the water?

Thanks

Shaila

There's a similar thread recently. I have an unused Optio WR43, which, much to the pleasure of some (like DJ), is a discontinued boater's favorite because it's the only water-resistant (10 ft) mini that has a true viewfinder! I was going to start using it this fall, but might sell it and look at the newer Olympus ($$). Let me know if you want the WR43. If, like me, you might prefer looking through a rangefinder instead of holding a camera at arn's length to see an LCD screen you'll probably prefer the WR43 also. Think I paid $200 new as a closeout....

Cheers.

Ern

Hi Shaila,

Bob and I have a Canon Powershot A150. While it needs the big, bulky heavy plastic waterproof casing which is an additional $100+ accessory, we've been really pleased with the optical quality.

It's a bit of an inconvenience but -- and this is my opinion -- the definition of the pictures we've taken is a bit better than the more convenient, smaller, definitely less bulky Pentax.

We also use the camera for day to day use when we don't want to use our Lumix.

Deb M

Below is an example of the quality of a shot taken indoors under pool lighting conditions.

post-100213-1190651519_thumb.jpg

Hi Shaila,

Bob and I have a Canon Powershot A150. While it needs the big, bulky heavy plastic waterproof casing which is an additional $100+ accessory, we've been really pleased with the optical quality.

It's a bit of an inconvenience but -- and this is my opinion -- the definition of the pictures we've taken is a bit better than the more convenient, smaller, definitely less bulky Pentax.

We also use the camera for day to day use when we don't want to use our Lumix.

Deb M

Below is an example of the quality of a shot taken indoors under pool lighting conditions.

Shaila,

A couple of points:

1. Given two camera's of similar mega pixel size (I know there are many, many other considerations, but someone who actually knows can fill you in ;) ), I really can't tell much a difference. I'm sure others can, particularly those who take a lot of photos (Joe, Brian and Matt come to mind), but if you can't, don't sweat the mega pixel size much.

2. As for land vs water, I have found there to be a difference in quality. The land only cameras seem to be much better, even with a lower megapixel rating (may have better "other stuff", but who knows).

3. Like all other marine electronics, waterproof does not mean bombproof. Unless you're a habitual rinser, you may need that protective case regardless.

4. For me, a big and bulky camera case wouldn't be the way to go. I like to be able to take a one handed shot and then stuff the camera down into my pfd.

5. I'd stay away from Olympus. We have one and are not pleased with it. Of course, doesn't mean you wouldn't have better luck.

6. Also consider the wrist camera I've seen advertised. Paula has one and it's not as bulky as many of the magazines seem to indicate.

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Sep 24 2007, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shaila,

A couple of points:

1. Given two camera's of similar mega pixel size (I know there are many, many other considerations, but someone who actually knows can fill you in ;) ), I really can't tell much a difference. I'm sure others can, particularly those who take a lot of photos (Joe, Brian and Matt come to mind), but if you can't, don't sweat the mega pixel size much.

2. As for land vs water, I have found there to be a difference in quality. The land only cameras seem to be much better, even with a lower megapixel rating (may have better "other stuff", but who knows).

3. Like all other marine electronics, waterproof does not mean bombproof. Unless you're a habitual rinser, you may need that protective case regardless.

4. For me, a big and bulky camera case wouldn't be the way to go. I like to be able to take a one handed shot and then stuff the camera down into my pfd.

5. I'd stay away from Olympus. We have one and are not pleased with it. Of course, doesn't mean you wouldn't have better luck.

6. Also consider the wrist camera I've seen advertised. Paula has one and it's not as bulky as many of the magazines seem to indicate.

A few comments on Kevin's comments (not to argue with his experiences but just to add mine)...

1. More megapixels give you more latitude for cropping the image. But there's a point of diminishing returns, as trying to cram more pixels into the same size CCD doesn't necessarily buy better resolution. IMHO, 5 mpixels is plenty unless you are going to do extensive editing.

2. Shouldn't be any particular difference between land and waterproof cameras that would be attributable to their waterproofness. There are a lot more choices amongst land cameras so better quality can be had more easily.

3. I never (NEVER) rinse my water-resistant camera (it's not even called waterproof). It has been on every trip with me that I've ever taken in a boat (or out of the boat, in the water, or rolling - and sometimes accidentally dragging along in the water when I forget to tuck it into my pfd), as well as for skiing and sometimes just around town. It's doing fine.

4. Agree!

5. No comment.

6. The wrist camera is a great idea but don't expect high-quality (or even medium quality) pix from it. It's more of a fun-cam.

My personal opinion is that someone should snap up Ernie's Pentax Optio WR43. That's what I use and it is a fine little camera. I refuse to buy one that doesn't have a viewfinder so I've stayed with this model for 5 or 6 years now. Love it. You can see the quality of the photos here (particularly the ones of David and Mark):

http://www.cathyhartland.com/temp5/

The last one (kate_cohasset) was taken with a wrist cam, for comparison.

The Pentax isn't an SLR, but in good light it will take fine action shots.

Kate

I've been using a Optio W-10 for a couple years now. It's picture quality is not as good as bigger camera's with better lenses, but it fits in the pocket of my PFD and I can strap it to my helmet to take surprisingly good video. With a 2 gig card it will take an hours worth of footage at 15 frames per second.

Since the best photographs are those that you have the camera out to take, I have been very happy with the little Optio. It may not last forever, but it has been through some significant dunkings without a problem.

I had the Pentax Optio W30, good camera until I closed it in the car door. I replaced it with the Olympus 770SW that seems to be a little better built and able to withstand my harsh treatment. Image quality between the two seems to be comparable.

Now, if I were currently in the market for something new, and video was a priority, with the ability for 6 megapixel stills. I would seriously consider the new waterproof SANYO Xacti E1 camcorder. I haven't seen one in person yet, but it does look pretty cool. http://www.sanyodigital.com/e1.aspx

I've been using a Optio W-10 for a couple years now. It's picture quality is not as good as bigger camera's with better lenses, but it fits in the pocket of my PFD and I can strap it to my helmet to take surprisingly good video. With a 2 gig card it will take an hours worth of footage at 15 frames per second.

Since the best photographs are those that you have the camera out to take, I have been very happy with the little Optio. It may not last forever, but it has been through some significant dunkings without a problem.

Very cool!

Now, if I were currently in the market for something new, and video was a priority, with the ability for 6 megapixel stills. I would seriously consider the new waterproof SANYO Xacti E1 camcorder. I haven't seen one in person yet, but it does look pretty cool. http://www.sanyodigital.com/e1.aspx

Discovered it's called the CA65 elsewhere, and has a "splashproof" (JIS4) smaller/lighter version called the CA6 that eBays for $250 instead of $375-ish. Can anyone offer Vasoline-coating success experience? The CA6's size is mighty attractive....

Discovered it's called the CA65 elsewhere, and has a "splashproof" (JIS4) smaller/lighter version called the CA6 that eBays for $250 instead of $375-ish. Can anyone offer Vasoline-coating success experience? The CA6's size is mighty attractive....

Spending the extra 1/3 for the IPX8 seems like a prudent investment instead spending $250 on a soon to be brick.

Like John, Nick and others, I'm satisfied Pentax Optio WR owner, three seasons in and out of water. Size and waterproofness are the winners. The lens on these cameras is entirely internal, so it disappears in the PFD pocket.

Chief complaint is a noticeable shutter lag (common to this class of camera). Low light sensitivity could be better and the lack of a viewfinder is a disadvantage in sunlight. You get used to these limitations.

For any waterproof electronics, remember to apply silicone grease sparingly to the rubber seal once or twice a season; it will extend the gasket and your camera's life significantly. You can get it at camera specialty stores.

Scott

I've had a Canon S1IS with a waterproof case for three years. The Canon has a 10 to 1 optical zoom, and produced some very decent photos taken both underwater, and in some pretty harsh conditions. Inside the waterproof case, it's definitely a two-hand camera, and is large and heavy. Outside the case, it has a different character. The size and weight of the combination make it not the best for kayak use.

Could anyone suggest a good waterproof camera? Also, do you use the camera for everyday pictures or just for in/near the water?

Thanks

Shaila

Now that DJ has my iconic WR43, and Ellen's lens cover got quirky on the LAST day of the 1yr warranty, we're in need of another camera too.

I had thought the Olympus Stylus 790 would be the ticket, but it's one-handed ergo is a bit poor, the complete waterproofness not quite justifying its cost and mediocre lens. Yet I'm sure TomH will love his new baby....

I then saw its sister, the Stylus 780...a bit longer, thus MUCH easier to grip one-handed with superior balance, and, being only SPLASH proof, thinner and lighter as well. Full WPness is traded for a true 5x optical zoom (to 180mm equiv), dual image stabilization, and apparently a processor allowing high ISO use for very quick low-light shots. There's a really fine review of it at photographyreview.com where, again, the mediocre lens and of course lack of a viewfinder are mentioned, but overall its attributes of size, ergonomics, low-light ability and excellent mechanical stabilization...and macro ability made it too easy for me to chase at huge discount from Olympusauctions on eBay. They seem to have a few of these that sell off around $175 +/-$25, with full 90d warranty.

If you want a NEW one with fyll 1 yr warranty from a fine bricks 'n mortar, I always like Cameras Inc on Mass Ave in Arlington, where they've decided to drop retail to $249 to sell off the last few before its replacement (8mp instead of 7.1, but with the clumsier 290's case) debuts for Christmas. There, now I feel less guilty chasing a refurb onliine....

So unless I actually SUBMERGE this baby it's supposed to be quite a shakeproof, wettable, one-handed, ultralight, PFD pocketable shutterbox. We'll see. I'll probably keep in a ziplock bag when not in actual use to minimize exposure.

I was more attracted to the wide angle ability and superior lens of the Canon 800, but was warned to be sure to not get ANY of the Canons, Nikons, Sonys, etc., near ANY water.

I also note that Casio makes a 1/2 sized, cheaper version of that camcorder Rick mentioned, but again its only weather (splash) proof. Intriguing design, but I wonder how fragile the swingarm is from an errant paddle knock.

Cheers.

So I don't have the hang of this quote thing...

Deb and I use a Canon A510 in the waterproof case. Optics are great, zoom is great, and picture resolution is excellent (3.2 Mpixels) and makes decent 8x10 or full-screen images on a 19-in monitor. It also takes video. It is bulky but not a big deal unless it's getting rough.

Sample pictures:

Closeup:

http://www.kayakpics.com/gallery/Solstice-...e-2007/IMG_0994

With Zoom:

http://www.kayakpics.com/gallery/Solstice-...e-2007/IMG_0993

On The Rocks:

http://www.kayakpics.com/gallery/Lanesvill...t-2007/IMG_1217

Cheers!

Bob